• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Poly Practised Elsewhere

This is really an invaluable thing you're doing here. This thread doesn't get many likes or comment but I really appreciate it.

@ZecAustin. Thanks for your comment. It has been my hope to increase awareness of the world-wide growth in poly-truth so that people who see this can be encouraged even if at times it seems like it's not moving much in our own small corner of the world. God is working!

This was definitely worth the time to read
While I agree it's worth the time to read, the article gives little attention to influence of religion. The religious worship of the goddess Juno by the Romans and Greeks required monogamy and greatly influenced their legislation. This worship of Juno, the queen of heaven, became part of the Roman Catholic religion and monogamy was demanded of those under its control. Thus monogamy spread across boarders with the global spread of Catholicism. Those adhering to e.g. Islamic religious beliefs haven't submitted to the RC monogamistic tradition/demands so those nations have not passed the monogamy-only laws to the same extent. Something I think is worth keeping in mind.

Thanks @frederick Thats info I didnt have on Juno. Any footnotes or links?

Sorry, not from on my phone. But if you do a search for 'worship of Juno' or along those lines you may find the material on it. When I was writing up my notes to counter the arguments against polygyny I was dealing with I found several sites with info. It's something I haven't forgotten so made reference to it above. If you don't find anything let me know and I'll have a look for you. Blessings.

Back