• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

ex21:10

ginger2

Female
exodus 21:
If he take him another wife, her food, her raiment, and her conjugal rights, shall he not diminish.
And if he do not these three unto her, then shall she go out for nothing, without money.

what did this mean to the people of ol' ? 'then shall she go out for nothing, without money'

The translation here confuses matters. This isn't speaking about a normal wife. It is speaking about a purchased slave-wife who did not have the protection of a marriage contract.

It meant the man had to free her without the requirement of she or someone else buying her freedom.

A regular wife would have had the benefit of a marriage contract specifying her rights to provision and any consequences to the husband violating them.

This was in the case of a female whom was purchased as a slave , and then her master takes on another wife and takes from her food, clothing, or sex.
In most cases a slave must be redeemed with money, or are let go free after seven years without money.
Females are not let go free without money, they are absorbed into the family one way or the other, and if he breaks faith with her, she may go free without a redemptive price being paid.

oh man! THANK YOU guys! thats so plain and easy to understand

slumber, what did you mean here? .
""Females are not let go free without money, they are absorbed into the family one way or the other, and if he breaks faith with her, she may go free without a redemptive price being paid.""
does this refer to non-slave wives?

No all of this refers to slave-wives.

If a man purchases a slave-wife for his son, he has to give her all the rights of a daughter. If he purchases her for himself, he has to give her all the rights of a wife.

The law does not provide for a man to purchase a female and NOT give or take her as a wife. I suppose it's because he could SAY "Hey, I only bought her as a servant, I didn't ever sleep with her"

but then everybody would be like:
1470425645630.jpg

:p:p:p

Back