• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Support Exploring idea of poly

Welcome! I'm not a frequent poster here but I did feel like my two cents might help. Some of this has already been said by others but I figured I needed to repeat some of it in order for my thoughts to be presented in their entirety. Please understand I'm not trying to be mean but just calling things as clearly as I can. This will be a bit blunt.

1. For me it's a huge red flag that he didn't bring this up to his wife before now. I am by no means saying he needed permission because he doesn't. It's his household and he can handle it as he wants but it does sound like he's more scared of his wife than leading. Leadership would require that he communicates much earlier in the process and then helps his wife to come down the road alongside him instead of running off on his own and keeping secrets. Communication is a cornerstone of a relationship and that goes double for marriage. How can a man lead if he doesn't even talk? How can he set an example if he hides his actions?

2. Everything the ladies have said here about adjustment and grieving for the first wife is 100% true. My wife was on board with the concept of poly from day one and she still had a tremendous amount of emotions to work through. It's taken a long time and there's still a mountain of stuff that comes up month to month. I'm talking years here before things are probably going to be smooth. Just don't expect one or two conversations to work everything out.

3. Make sure you have a good understanding of his household. Due to item 1 on this list I would suggest you pay extra close attention to how he treats his first wife and how he handles her through this process. That will be a good indicator of how things will be for you when difficulty comes along. Don't think that you will be treated any better than how he treats her. Remember that no matter how far you might feel you're in love with him and he with you the same was most likely true for them in the past as well. The difference being they aren't in a honeymoon phase so you hopefully get to see the unfiltered version of him. What he does in the following weeks and months will reveal a portion of his character. Keep your eyes open.

4. This is entirely opinion on my part so take it with a grain of salt. Understand that emotions cloud good decision making especially when it comes to the rest of your life type decisions. Marriage being the one in the spotlight at the moment. If you haven't already done so taking a step back from the situation and really seeing if it's the right situation for you would be a good idea. I am saying this with the full belief that God intends marriage for everyone and that it's in his design. Just make sure their family situation is where God is leading you. One thing that God has always been faithful with in my life is when I pray for him to remove something from my life if it's not the way he wants me to go. I'm not talking about praying "Lord please take something away" and then holding on to it with white knuckles. I am talking about "Lord in as a painful away as you see fit remove from my life this thing if it is not in your plan". He is faithful in my experience. I have experienced tremendous pain followed by tremendous peace as a result of that prayer. It's also a great way to make sure you're submitting your life to him.

5. Take your time if you get to the point where you are legitimately courting. Don't rush the process and realize that you are coming into an already established situation so a lot of the rules that are culturally normal simply don't apply. There is a lot to figure out and there will be even more for them to figure out as an existing marriage.

Lastly there's just something about your original post that really brought up a warning claxin in the back of my brain. The general feel I get from reading this thread is that he needs to sort out his own household and really doesn't have a handle on it. Adding in another wife when his existing household isn't in order is in my mind completely divorcing yourself from wisdom. I know emotions are most likely high and people sound like they have already become more than friends. But simply being emotionally connected to someone in my opinion is not a good reason to marry them. I know there are those who will disagree and that's okay. Just realize the Bible is very clear that the heart is deceitfully wicked above all things (Jeremiah 17:9). Emotions cloud good judgment. Another term for good judgment is wisdom.

How does it work? How do you slowly work your way into someone else’s family without stepping on the other spouse’s toes?

I'm in a similar position and having to wait and pray as he and his first wife sort things out between them. No advice. Just love and sympathy.

Major red flag that he hasn't discussed this with his wife, IMO. That should have happened first, before he started looking around. When he tells wife, she will probably go through a months long anger and grieving process.

First thing I did when I started studying this was discuss it with my wife. Like within days.

The problem with that is…I’ve already fallen HARD and I’m worried if this doesn’t work out how things will end up. Like would we continue a friendship.
You really need to pick yourself up and distance yourself from this particular relationship. Don't even think about them, because it will be too painful to endure. You have no way of knowing how it will turn out when he does tell his wife the truth, if that ever does happen. Marriages often end over this, and that may be too great of a risk for him to take, and you don't want to have that on your conscience if it does happen. Break things off and seek healing, because this is probably not the first relationship you have been in that didn't end in marriage. One thing you will not have to be too concerned about though, is finding a husband that is right for you, now that you have come to know the truth about marriage. Believe me, there are a LOT of men here in this group who are solid in their walk with Christ, and know the Scriptures quite well. I know it will take some time for you to work this out, but you simply CANNOT hold out hope for this man, UNLESS God has clearly revealed to you that somehow he will work things out with his wife.

Lastly there's just something about your original post that really brought up a warning claxin in the back of my brain. The general feel I get from reading this thread is that he needs to sort out his own household and really doesn't have a handle on it.
You really need to pick yourself up and distance yourself from this particular relationship.
Just finished reading through everyone's posts in this thread, and there are many great comments from many thoughtful contributors, but ^^^^ these ^^^^ hit the nail on the head. I know Daniel's assertion may seem blunt, but given what @Southerngirl00 has shared with us, and given her relative dearth of power in the situation (not male; not formally recognized), it's the only reasonable choice outside of her engaging in impulsive ongoing risk of personal devastation.

I don't know who the man in question is -- one post suggested it could be a member of Biblical Families; but that doesn't give me a clue, and it doesn't matter. What has been written and what I'm about to write really shouldn't be a shock to him if he reads it; i.e., if he doesn't already realize this, he's just being willfully ignorant.

What I was struck by in the general theme of most of the responses, as compassionate as they were, was the woman-centric viewpoint: how it affects @Southerngirl00 or how it affects her potential man's current wife. And I'm not asserting that how it affects them is irrelevant, but it is the very tendency of elevating female concerns to the forefront that leads to men justifying lying to their women to 'protect' them.

I'm not at all a fan of the belief that men need to become better-than-average men (i.e., higher-value in women's eyes) before they can justify having more than one wife, so my comments are not a slam on @Southerngirl00sBeau or his potential as a polygynist. Instead, they reflect something I know only too well from my own experience as a man because I too tried to do things out of order -- and I can't escape that the disasters that arose in the past rested almost entirely on my shoulders.

The general feel I get from reading this thread is that he needs to sort out his own household and really doesn't have a handle on it.
Boom.

Patriarchy before Polygyny. @Southerngirl00sBeau clearly has not established himself as the head of his household. If he were the leader, if he were the head of his marriage and family, he would have no reason to lie to his wife by omission. (@PeteR spoke to this.) I know that adultery has to involve a married woman, but it's not unreasonable to assert that, in modern parlance, @Southerngirl00sBeau is literally cheating on his wife no matter if genitals have been involved or not. Hearts certainly are in play, right?

To have integrity, @Southerngirl00sBeau needs to immediately disengage from romance with @Southerngirl00, then proceed to both establish that he's the head of his household and confess his duplicitous behavior to his wife -- and just these two done in conjunction will be quite a balancing act. There is no reason, @Southerngirl00, why you should be subjected to any aspect of whatever shitstorms will ensue throughout those processes. Then, if @Southerngirl00sBeau immerses himself in Scripture to the point of grokking everything it teaches without just concentrating on the passages that have up until now seemed to justify slinking around behind his wife's back, straightens out his household, asserts his headship, demonstrates that he can sustain it, teaches @Southerngirl00sBeausWife everything she needs to learn from Scripture about patriarchy and polygyny, and after all that has already been accomplished still believes he might be interested in legitimately courting, then, @Southerngirl00, he will be in a position to invite you to do so out in the sunshine.

Back