• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

May Newsletter Article: The Essential Difference

Nicely done Andrew. I was thinking about this on the way home from work this evening. I in particular am not a big fan of the Romantic Love Model (even though that is what I married under and I can't complain about that!) That being said, I'm not sure that I've ever heard the Biblical Love Model thoroughly fleshed out. Not to point fingers because I haven't made it to the end of that road yet either. I know parts of it. Ive heard other parts of it from others, but I don't think I've yet to actually see or hear of a Biblical Love Model that is totally free of bad traits or perceptions of the Romantic Model. I think if we were to ever see an accurately lived Biblical Love Model that we would be in culture shock.

In short, Baron-Cohen has concluded that men are generally better at systemizing, and women are better at empathizing.
Ya don't say....

When my first two boys were born heaps of people gave us teddy bears and soft toys for them. The boys never touched them until they were two years old. Then the toys were made to do a job. They were driving tractors, or going into space, or shooting at possums, or Jesus building a house in heaven!
When Ruth was born I expected the same thing. I was very wrong. From when she learned how to walk she would walk around carrying soft toys and hugging them. As she got a little older she started rocking them off to sleep, shhhing them, feeding them (breast, bottle, and solids), and putting them into bed. It became so common that I found toys everywhere in 'bed', normally with clothes on top of them from out of her drawers as blankets.
She had the same toys, same parenting. The only thing I have ever told her to do differently from the boys was that if she wanted to be upside down (which she is a good chunk of the day), then she needed to either wear trousers or tights so she wasn't flashing everyone, lol.
It's instinctual for girls to be different from boys, that's how they're made. Like the study in the article talked about babies looking at mobiles and faces, they have unique characteristics.
Where I think one of the problems in society lies, is that we then take things that women are good at, like empathising, and turn it into something bad, saying we're too emotional and we cry too much. Then people want to change. Then women think they need to step up and be like a man or they will never get anywhere in life. Instead we should be accepting of how we're all different.

I agree 100%, but then would add that there is also pressure on men to be more like women, "more in touch with their feelings", less aggressive, etc., and now we've got beta males left of us, snowflakes to the right, and here we are, stuck in the middle....

This was excellent, and really summed up a good portion of the journey of discovery I've been on over the past year. Especially in understanding the paradox of not focusing on happiness.

There's a thought that I've had about this, that I'd like to try bouncing off someone. I wonder whether some of the fault may come from misapplying the "golden rule" (do unto others as you would have them do unto you) within an authority structure, without taking said structure into account. Consider children and parents: parents love their children, and children are to obey their parents. But if the parents show love to their children by behaving the way they want the children to behave towards them -- i.e. by obeying the children -- then you get spoiled brats. Same thing happens if an employer "loves" its employees by obeying the later's demands -- the employer may well go out of business. Same thing happens in extreme forms of democracy, which degrade into anarchy when their rulers do nothing but follow the whim of the populace (which is why we're supposed to be a republic, not a democracy). You can probably see where I'm going with this in a marriage, where the man is the loving head, and the wife is under him. If the man "loves" her by submitting to her (as he would have her "do unto him"), then there's going to be problems.

What really drove this home was then considering Christ as our example of how to love. Usually, when men are told to love their wives like Christ loved the church, they are (rightly) told to be willing to sacrifice their lives if needed. But the other half of that coin is how, when Peter tried to convince Christ not to die, Christ told him "get behind me, Satan!" Just a though experiment here, but how many would counsel a man to tell his wife to "get behind me" in such a manner? Yet Christ loved his disciples enough to not bow to their will over His Father's will. In short Love ≠ Obedience. And this needs to be taken into account when "doing unto others..."

There's also a brief discussion of what "extreme female brain" looks like (extreme empathy with little or no system)
Does it look like Marxism and/or social justice warriors? Because that's what it sounds like.

Last edited:
@Shibboleth - Agreed on the golden rule problem, and on the nail!

Short version on EFB is that it looks like psychosis--a break from reality. I'd say for cultural Marxists and SJWs the shoe fits....

This (female/psychosis <--> male/autistic) spectrum sounds similar to a piece on the radio that I heard the beginning of just the other day (I think it was on NPR). A psychologist was in an auto accident and was helped by a total stranger (who risked his own life to help), so she decided to study altruism, and began by studying the opposite of that: psychopaths. Unfortunately, that was as much as I heard before I got where I was going.

Edit: I found a TED talk if anyone's interested: https://www.ted.com/talks/abigail_marsh_why_some_people_are_more_altruistic_than_others

Last edited:
Like the article!
I had to learn most everything about gender differences after marriage. I had a great dad, but he was nothing like my husband, and I had no brothers.
My dad was not at all mechanically inclined. This means I was better at building things, or fixing things then he was. Let me just say the habit of having opinions about how to do everything, and being used to them being appreciated and implemented, meant I had to do some adjusting after marriage. I learned that even a suggestion like "Why don't you _______" is the same as saying you are doing it wrong, to someone who does know what he's doing, and has his own plan.

There's a thought that I've had about this, that I'd like to try bouncing off someone. I wonder whether some of the fault may come from misapplying the "golden rule" (do unto others as you would have them do unto you) within an authority structure, without taking said structure into account.

I totally agree, and have long seen that as one thing that would be nice about having a co-wife. There would then be someone I could simply apply the golden rule to in my life, without having to figure authority and position in the family in.
I think reality might not be as simple as that though, as everyone has individual differences, and you have to learn someone before really know how to bless them with actions.

The video does a great job of illustrating the absolute frustration of trying to help someone, that is blind to the real nature of their problem. I feel for the guy there, who wants to help, and is treated with hostility and condemnation.

When it is obvious that someone does not even comprehend what you are saying, it's hard to not object to their criticism.
It IS about the nail!!!

I had to learn most everything about gender differences after marriage.
I think that goes for a lot of us these days!... :eek:

I learned that even a suggestion like "Why don't you _______" is the same as saying you are doing it wrong, to someone who does know what he's doing, and has his own plan.
This is a tremendous lesson, and illustrates well the drastic differences between communication styles (or maybe a better phrase is 'communication values') that women and men have. She sincerely believes she is helping; he sincerely believes he is being criticized or maybe nagged. Neither is 'right' or 'wrong', just two different points of view.

It is heartening to know that there are lots of people out there who are starting to wake up again to this realization, even from a purely secular, scientific standpoint. Jordan B Peterson (a Canadian professor, psychologist, and something of a youtube legend) has talked on these issues on a number of occasions, such as in this video:

Within the first minute, he gets into research showing how men are "less interested in people, and more interested in things." And it just gets more interesting from there. Just espousing these kinds of basic truths has put him in the position of standing up against angry mobs of student protesters on numerous occasions.

Interestingly, in NZ there are companies doing trades that are wanting to hire more women. Only 2% of the people working in trades are women.
Here's a quote as to why they want women.
"We know from the women that are in trades that they are safer than men. They follow safety instructions. They don't think they're bullet proof so they're safer on site. They're much easier on the equipment. They have a better attention to detail. They're excellent communicators."
Here's the article if anyone is interested http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/93277139/women-train-for-jobs-in-aucklands-trades-workforce

Bah! Never met a problem that couldn't be solved by the proper application of the correctly sized hammer.

If at first you don't succeed. . . . Get a bigger hammer!

"They don't think they are bullet proof so they're safer on site"

My own personal experience with a woman in construction sadly didnt prove that out. Maybe it was just this particular one. After several weeks on a commercial construction project (where most of what she did took 3 times as long as it should have and then required being redone because it was wrong) I had the dubious privilege of being partnered with her on some crown molding in one of the rooms. Because of what I had heard of her skills, I started it out so that she ended up on the dumb end of the board. That worked out great until we got around the room to the starting point and then it was up to her to get the measurement, cut the trim and make it fit. An hour later, not only were we not done, she had cut 3 pieces, it fit like excrement, and this veteran carpenter had deliberately performed several major safety infractions with the saw despite my warnings that those were first time firing offenses for her and a 2 week suspension for me if it wasn't reported. When it was reported, nothing happened because she was actually only onsite to pacify some feminist who wanted at least one woman on this construction site. At the time, I was only a 5th period apprentice. She was a nice person, but it became pretty obvious (at least in her case) that she should have probably gone into a different line of work.

I'm a little late to the party and just now read the newsletter. Grok?!? I almost LOL'd here at work.

Great article, @andrew . Convicting.

I've met men just as incompetent, VV, and wondered how long it would take until they killed themselves. Some people just seem to be the walking dead, both in how they live and in how long it will be until they die from doing something really stupid.

Back