• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Be careful about what you call a 'Different Gospel'

FollowingHim

Administrator
Staff member
Real Person
Male
Excellent article on the need to accept even those with very different views to our own as brothers and sisters in Christ.
http://www.charismanews.com/opinion...areful-about-what-you-call-a-different-gospel

This goes to the heart of what I love about Biblical Families. We agree on polygyny being acceptable to God, and that's about as far as full agreement goes. Outside that we have a massively diverse range of views on other scriptural issues. There are people here from about any denomination imaginable. We disagree on so many matters, yet we love each other in Christ. When I attended a retreat a year ago, I instantly felt among family.

Although I encourage people to stay on topic in the forum, as this exists to support people in their marriages not debate other matters, I would also encourage you to get to know others outside the forum and be challenged in your faith. Even rebuked where you may be in serious error. This group is a wonderful way to meet people who you may never have come into contact with in normal life, and be lovingly challenged to consider different aspects of God's word in ways you may never have considered previously when interacting mainly with Christians from similar backgrounds to yourself.

Yet this is only possible since we accept each other as fellow members of God's family, rather than instantly dismissing each other as evil heathens because they speak in tongues / don't speak in tongues / worship on Saturday / observe no Sabbath / eat pork / drink alcohol / believe in evolution / believe in 6 day creation... There are so many aspects of Christianity that are very important to understand better, but are not ultimately salvation issues.

I have been steadily growing in the depth of my knowledge of God since finding this group, and continue to learn more every day. Love you all!

May we always continue to accept, support, and lovingly correct each other in Christ.

I have noticed that others on the website are not believers in that they do not believe in Jesus as the messiah or that they are atheist or agnostic. Is it still the policy to allow members as long as they are clear in their views and do not try to proselytize?

What about a Jewish person that does accept Yehovah as God, but not Jesus as messiah? As long as the person is honest about their beliefs and does not bring verses from the Koran or the Book of Mormon into discussions correct?

Paul, I think you have it about right - this is a forum by, and for, Christians who accept the reality of the Gospel: the work done for us, at the Cross, by Christ - the only hope for salvation. I put it that way intentionally. With out that focus, there would be no purpose. But that perhaps needs two clarifications:

We recognize the 'big tent' of the (true) Gospel - my Mennonite relatives, Messianic friends, dispensationalist brothers, and even Calvinist believers (you do know what he said about polygamy, right? :) ) are all my spiritual family, whether your end-times have come-and-gone, almost here, gradually being fulfilled, or way-the-heck in the future (pun intended). I have seen God's fruit in all of these (and, yeah, I've seen him absent in nearly all as well - you can believe anything and still be a complete ba****d.) 'They will know we are Christians by our love.'

Secondly, sure, it's a public forum, and we accept some level of participation from those interested in plural marriage who would either label themselves 'outside the tent', or who's beliefs most of us would consider outside. But that participation should not include anything that distracts from the passion for our Lord and Savior, that is the thing those of us inside the tent live for (hopefully!), and the reason for BF. Plural marriage may be a 'tie that binds', but is not our purpose or passion.

Ah, Paul, someone had to go and make this complicated! Here I was expressing my emotions and you have to bring it back to the letter of the law. Typical male. Oh, I'm a male too. Bother, forgot that for a moment there. :D

Romans 10:9 shows who are our brothers and sisters. All others are welcome also provided they don't proselytize and respect that this is a Christian website.

as I have stated previously, if we all keep our focus on Yeshua, from wherever we individually stand, our views will eventually converge. the closer we get to Him, the closer we will be to each other.

if we focus on our individual beliefs our views will never converge.

steve said:
as I have stated previously, if we all keep our focus on Yeshua, from wherever we individually stand, our views will eventually converge. the closer we get to Him, the closer we will be to each other.

if we focus on our individual beliefs our views will never converge.
Very well said, I couldn't agree more. I may even quote you in my sermon this Sunday, I've been given Romans 14, so this is very relevant. God always manages to somehow align the conversations I am having and issues I am pondering with my next sermon topic, even before I know what the topic is going to be. We serve an amazing God.

Back