• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Support Book Review

blessedwith2

Real Person
Male
I'm looking for some people to review a book that I recently finished writing. The title is, His Own Wife, Her Own Husband, The Biblical Basis of Polygyny. It is 355 pages so I know this is a large request. I have applied for my copyright on the first edition, but I've decided to seek feedback on the book and then potentially make an updated second edition. I've decided to copyright and publish the second edition. I'd like to publish the second edition in the next 30 days. If you are interested in reviewing the book in an expedited manner, I would send you a copy of the book via Google Docs and provide you with the ability to make comments. I would also like to find a few pastors who are opposed to polygyny who would be willing to give me their rebuttal. If any of you would know a pastor or be willing to ask a pastor with an opposing view about this, I'd be forever grateful.

If you do review the book, and you notice that I have not included a helpful passage of Scripture, please let me know. Thanks!

Not sure I have time to review it for your deadline, but I want a hard copy to review on my blog and/or youtube channel....

May I have electronic until then to get started?

I would love to give it a shot, although my life has been a bit topsy-turvy as of late.

Not sure I have time to review it for your deadline, but I want a hard copy to review on my blog and/or youtube channel....

May I have electronic until then to get started?
My first edition is only designed for personal feedback; however, I would love for you to review my second edition on your blog and YouTube channel. I will send you an electronic copy of the first edition if you will use it just to give me constructive criticism.

My first edition is only designed for personal feedback; however, I would love for you to review my second edition on your blog and YouTube channel. I will send you an electronic copy of the first edition if you will use it just to give me constructive criticism.
I can do that.

Likewise, I can't promise to meet any deadline, things are beyond merely busy here. But I would like to read it, comment if I can...perhaps a cursory first look, too.

Likewise, I can't promise to meet any deadline, things are beyond merely busy here. But I would like to read it, comment if I can...perhaps a cursory first look, too.
Several of the members here have responded to my request, which is greatly appreciated and encouraging. However, because it is not my intent for this first edition to be published, and the second edition needs to be completed quickly, I need to limit the distribution of the first edition to people that have the time to read it and comment on it in a timely manner. I hope you will understand. Thank you very much for your interest.

I have a friend of mine that recently wrote a book that I purchased off of Amazon. I told her that I bought the book and I eagerly waited for its arrival. Unfortunately for me, I had agreed to give her my honest opinion about the book. The reason I say unfortunately is because if the rest of the book is as bad as the first chapter....I'm going to need to find a way to kindly tell her that the book is horrible. :( My first clue that the book wasn't up to snuff is that the book had no page numbers or table of contents and well quite frankly it was all downhill from there. It isn't that I don't think she can't be a good writer, because after all she was disciplined enough to write an entire book. In fact, I hope she keeps writing, but her first book may need a complete rewrite.

I'm telling you all this because several of you so graciously offered to review the book I recently wrote, and I haven't received one comment about the book. No doubt it could be because we are all busy people, but there is also a good chance that you all have found yourself in that same situation I am in. You don't want to give a negative book review. So, I have decided to put the book on the shelf for a while and come back to it in the future. Perhaps some time away from the book will give me a fresh perspective.

I did have a friend who has read a little of it and she said, "I really have a way with words." Of course, that could mean good or bad and the fact she hasn't said anything else probably means she was being very tactful. My mom said it is, "not boring" and my wife says she really likes it, but she's biased for sure. Anyway, we all need to be able to take a hint.

So, for all of you that I was bugging for some sort of response, I promise I will not bug you any longer. I do genuinely appreciate each of you who wanted to help, and I also appreciate you not being brash and telling me the book's a lot of garbage. Because I know that people who do not care on the internet generally relish the opportunity to tear other people down. Silence is sometimes the kindest thing we can do.

Brother, I have read some parts and liked what I read. I just have not had time to really really dig in... the layout and argumentation is good. (I need to fast forward to the back half to see how you pivot and your purpose for the latter focus. It may detract from the first half, not that the back isn't important... I just need to process the how and why that section.... )

I have a friend of mine that recently wrote a book that I purchased off of Amazon. I told her that I bought the book and I eagerly waited for its arrival. Unfortunately for me, I had agreed to give her my honest opinion about the book. The reason I say unfortunately is because if the rest of the book is as bad as the first chapter....I'm going to need to find a way to kindly tell her that the book is horrible. :( My first clue that the book wasn't up to snuff is that the book had no page numbers or table of contents and well quite frankly it was all downhill from there. It isn't that I don't think she can't be a good writer, because after all she was disciplined enough to write an entire book. In fact, I hope she keeps writing, but her first book may need a complete rewrite.

I'm telling you all this because several of you so graciously offered to review the book I recently wrote, and I haven't received one comment about the book. No doubt it could be because we are all busy people, but there is also a good chance that you all have found yourself in that same situation I am in. You don't want to give a negative book review. So, I have decided to put the book on the shelf for a while and come back to it in the future. Perhaps some time away from the book will give me a fresh perspective.

I did have a friend who has read a little of it and she said, "I really have a way with words." Of course, that could mean good or bad and the fact she hasn't said anything else probably means she was being very tactful. My mom said it is, "not boring" and my wife says she really likes it, but she's biased for sure. Anyway, we all need to be able to take a hint.

So, for all of you that I was bugging for some sort of response, I promise I will not bug you any longer. I do genuinely appreciate each of you who wanted to help, and I also appreciate you not being brash and telling me the book's a lot of garbage. Because I know that people who do not care on the internet generally relish the opportunity to tear other people down. Silence is sometimes the kindest thing we can do.

That’s not it. I simply haven’t had time to review your book. I’m running two businesses, traveling to meet clients, and I have a family and homestead to run.

Asking for a review of a 96,894 word book in a month’s time is a massive ask.

A chapter. Maybe. But a book that size ain’t happening. I’m going to try and fit some speed reading in but this is my busy time of year and while I do “want” to read it, my wants and reality is at odds these days.

I imagine the same situation with many of the men on here. Reading and responding to a post here or there takes 10 mins. Digesting a book that size and giving constructive criticism takes a lot of time.

We’re trying 😁

That’s not it. I simply haven’t had time to review your book. I’m running two businesses, traveling to meet clients, and I have a family and homestead to run.

Asking for a review of a 96,894 word book in a month’s time is a massive ask.

A chapter. Maybe. But a book that size ain’t happening. I’m going to try and fit some speed reading in but this is my busy time of year and while I do “want” to read it, my wants and reality is at odds these days.

I imagine the same situation with many of the men on here. Reading and responding to a post here or there takes 10 mins. Digesting a book that size and giving constructive criticism takes a lot of time.

We’re trying 😁
Thank you for your response. Yes, reading a book that size is a big task indeed, and you definitely have a full plate, or perhaps in your case, it's a full platter. :) My book, of course, should not be one of your top priorities. If you have time to review a chapter or two, that would be great. Please understand I was not offended that you didn't drop everything to review the book. If you don't have time to review it all, I will understand. Hopefully, the published version will be out soon, and you can read it as time allows.

I may not have been as clear as I had hoped, but I needed to put reviewing the book into a small time frame because I'm working on the final edits to get to a published edition. I hope you will understand. Perhaps I could send you a chapter or two for your review if you'd like, but I don't wish to hinder the most important things in your life. Truly your desire to help in itself has been an encouragement.

I knew at least some of you are extremely busy, and I hope I expressed that adequately. But I must admit when I heard nothing but crickets, I thought maybe I needed to go back to the drawing board, and that may be what ends up happening.

Something I should have said upfront is that the book is not for the pro-polygyny crowd or the strong critics of polygyny. The book is for Christians who may have an interest in exploring polygyny. I realize that the seasoned members here have a far greater knowledge about polygyny than 99.999% of America, so there may not be anything new in this book for some of the members of biblicalfamilies.org.

Thanks again for your response!

I published my first book last year:

https://www.amazon.com/Theory-Devolution-Shadow-Presidency-Donald-ebook/dp/B0B5T59GPB

The good thing about publishing on Amazon, is you can still fix up all the mistakes like missing page numbers, etc and republish as a second edition.
Your book looks like an interesting read. One thing's for sure; three states broke their own laws during that election, and the fact that the Supreme Court decided not to intervene is very strong evidence that they are as corrupt as the other two branches of government.

I may be able to help you out sir. Currently unemployed devourer of books, with an associates in linguistics.
That sounds great! If you find the book interesting, would you be willing to read it in two weeks or less? It's 355 pages long. If you don't find it interesting, you could just let me know.

Back