• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Burning Question Part 1

You don't ask how monogamy has benefited or harmed your tribe if monogamy has made sure you don't identify with a tribe.
Dang, mystic. Spot on.

We had a prophetic worship ministry in the '90s and made the mistake ;) of praying that God would use our lives as a sign to our generation as he did the biblical prophets. Had no idea what we were getting into....

There are other ways to get into this, though. As our culture continues to rush toward a terminal collapse (see, for example, this book), I believe God is calling more men to build strong stable families that will survive and possibly even thrive in the chaos. More and more of us are being called to "come out of her", and many are being led to start their own businesses or even homestead. As more of us men turn to self-employment and self-sufficiency, it seems natural to me (at this point, almost 20 years in) that God is calling more families to the plural life. It just works (particularly for family businesses and homesteads). When it's bad it's very bad, but when it's good it's very, very good.

This may be that Isaiah thing about seven women and one man, or it may not. Doesn't matter. Looks like a definite trend to me.

You actually answered a question I had before I could ask it with this! We do homestead and live a Heritage lifestyle and just today I was coming home and thought how nice it would be if my Wife had someone to talk to and help with chores around the house while I was gone.....then of course I felt some guilt that I thought that way and was going to ask if it was selfish to consider this as part of the reason we feel a calling to have a plural family, but I feel in your answer that it is acceptable to have the thought and I should not feel guilt because of it. If I am wrong please let me know.

I think wanting companionship, friendship, and help for your wife while you're gone can be good or bad. You said "part" of the reason so I'd lean towards assuming it is good in this case. I mean, it might be bad if you were just wanting a love in maid kind of thing, but wanting a woman who benefits *and* is benefitted by your first wife is laudable.

A&J, I think you're right on the money, and I don't think it is selfish at all to realize the advantages that come from obedience to God's word. Jesus endured a contradiction of sinners because he had his eyes on the prize. We go through the hard stuff to get to the good stuff. Plural family has multiple layers of benefits for all parties, and we shouldn't feel guilty for reaping the rewards if we are willing to do the work.

The love in maid line will now be a standing statement.....lol. Thank you all for the insight and yes it is only part of my/our thoughts on plural marriage. We do appreciate the idea of the help and companionship but first thought was the ability to help and share with someone our values and way of life. For me on a personal level it was the feeling that there are too few men (said with all due respect) who could or would be able to provide a path toward the virtues we hold dear. So many people today are wrapped up in money, instant gratification, no belief system, getting it free and easy, all reward and no work....ETC and the list is long and all of that bothered/bothers me in a way that I felt it was my responsibility to lead and provide a different choice. It is hard work and long hours, especially in spring summer and fall, but the rewards are multiple.

Back