• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Child Rearing - Home Schooling, Polygyny, Careers, Subject Matter Experts. Win win?

I have been thinking a lot about child rearing strategies and the benefits that polygyny affords in regards to raising well rounded children. Myself being a self taught polymath with various interests, skillets, and disciplines, I would like to impart and shares these things with my own children. Giving them the best opportunity to grow and develop these to a greater extent then I have.

Being that I am one person with only so much time, I cannot reach and retain the same level of understanding that an indivudal who studied only that topic could. If each wife was a subject matter expert, studied to a deeper level then myself on individual topics. They could then teach those professional level skills and knowledge to the children and the children would also have that greater level of resource to referer back to.

This would essentially break up the curriculum into courses similar to a period style class, allowing for much more advanced leveled learning without requiring a single person to know it all. Spreading out the workload, allowing wives time to be able to pursue and advance their professions and continue to make money off it for the family as a whole.

Have any of you done or seen this done before? This really seems like a huge force multiplier for building generational wealth and raising living and educational standards for everyone.

Seems like over-complicating things and reinventing the wheel. Robust homeschooling curriculum has already been developed that will challenge your children while providing a well-rounded foundation for higher learning and bringing to light their own individual strengths which may or may not be suited to the disciplines you want them to adopt. Beyond that, trade schools, universities, private scholarships, and apprenticeships exist that would take them the rest of the way. You would not need highly (expensively) trained expert wives for these specific tasks, nor would they need to undertake the monumental task of developing a curriculum for these subjects.

I get the appeal of it, however. It would be cool. I've sometimes thought it would be useful to have a wife trained in general nursing and trauma response.

For us, teaching our children didn't necessitate turning our home into some kind of school with classes from 9.00am to 3.30pm. We followed the principles God has given in His Word of making the whole of life an educational opportunity for the children. Read e.g. Deut. 6:7 and 11:19. God has given us all of His creation to be the place for learning and teaching. There are amazing resources available through a number of good Bible based ministries to get the answers you need, so use them as required. Each child is unique and will learn in a variety of ways, therefore home educating them gives the opportunity and flexibility for each to learn at their pace. Shalom

Seems like over-complicating things and reinventing the wheel. Robust homeschooling curriculum has already been developed that will challenge your children while providing a well-rounded foundation for higher learning and bringing to light their own individual strengths which may or may not be suited to the disciplines you want them to adopt. Beyond that, trade schools, universities, private scholarships, and apprenticeships exist that would take them the rest of the way. You would not need highly (expensively) trained expert wives for these specific tasks, nor would they need to undertake the monumental task of developing a curriculum for these subjects.

I get the appeal of it, however. It would be cool. I've sometimes thought it would be useful to have a wife trained in general nursing and trauma response.
Unfortunately the world has gone and become overly-complicated. I should probably add this is in anticipation of the coming loss and or availability of those services and resources. Having access to knowledgeable experienced people when services are not readily available, is a resource in and of itself, especially when there's no community to fall back on to fill these gaps. The luxuries we have enjoyed for the last several decades as much as I hope they are available in the future I do not anticipate them being there at least in any affordable means. The idea of having a backup to myself with greater in depth knowledge on various subjects seems like the best way to fortify the house, especially if I am not available because responsibilities. Any resources you know of regarding curriculum is much appreciated.

For us, teaching our children didn't necessitate turning our home into some kind of school with classes from 9.00am to 3.30pm. We followed the principles God has given in His Word of making the whole of life an educational opportunity for the children. Read e.g. Deut. 6:7 and 11:19. God has given us all of His creation to be the place for learning and teaching. There are amazing resources available through a number of good Bible based ministries to get the answers you need, so use them as required. Each child is unique and will learn in a variety of ways, therefore home educating them gives the opportunity and flexibility for each to learn at their pace. Shalom
Do you have links to any of those resources? Its not so much about a strict regiment as it is about having access to those resources readily available. This is something I currently struggle with where there are few people I can reach out to when I run into a problem or struggle to grasp a concept. Someone with a higher level of education, experience, or understanding that I can reach out to and communicate with to work through the problem.

Do you have links to any of those resources?
This is one resource we used extensively, however all that I know of are monogamy-only regarding marriage. Teaching children how to do their own research at public libraries is part of educating them. Help them avoid the disaster of relying on Google searches!

This is one resource we used extensively, however all that I know of are monogamy-only regarding marriage. Teaching children how to do their own research at public libraries is part of educating them. Help them avoid the disaster of relying on Google searches!
Honestly it would depend on what you are researching as many things found in person are dependent upon where you live and what you have access to. Where we live the public libraries are a complete mess. The section of classics was molded over and falling apart, and they're selling point was their extensive computer collection. So unfortunately that isn't always an option. When it comes to google, youtube or other internet searches I think it requires wisdom to know where to search and what to look for. Personally like archive.org. But I think teaching a child how to do research on the internet, what to look for and look out for, is actually an important skill in this day and age.

But I think teaching a child how to do research on the internet, what to look for and look out for, is actually an important skill in this day and age.
Probably. Our solution was to let out kids have limited access to the internet until they were adults. Our oldest son works building tents and is almost always listening to something informative.

The public library in Prescott is three stories and very nice. Even the one I remember from Young Arizona 30 years ago was clean and new....and full of books.
I definitely like real hard copy books as I have seen what comes up on searches change a lot over the years.....and online resources delete content.

I definitely like real hard copy books as I have seen what comes up on searches change a lot over the years.....and online resources delete content.
It's true. Online content is being monitored and restricted more than it ever was before. It's impossible to find a lot of things if you aren't already connected to it somehow, but when you move to a place where physical books are harder to get your hands on, it can be useful especially if you want to check the content of a book before buying a physical copy. I also prefer physical copies but it's a lot of money to get them sometimes. So I'm grateful that my parents already owned the Harvard classics and other educational books since we moved a lot while I was growing up.

What is a public library and where do I find one?

Post Edit, Something I am working on now is building my own library, since the public library's seem to be going the way of the dodos.
Our public library used to be great when I was a child, it's useless now. Just substitute "second-hand bookshop" for "library" though and you're sorted. And you don't have to return the books.

Invest in a set of encyclopedias, preferably published in 1990 or earlier. I come across sets in thrift stores and consignment stores regularly. They won't be accurate for modern politics or culture, but are a good starting point for other areas of study. I've annoyed my children by requiring them to "look it up" in the encyclopedia before agreeing to Google something.

Then, if you have a public library system near you, see if they have access to a library e-book app. Selection is still wanting, but they may have more than you'd imagine. Also, see if they will do interlibrary loans for you. Some will do it for a small fee, others for free. Even if your local library is junk, you may be able to access better books through bigger state or university libraries through interlibrary loans. Bigger public libraries and some university libraries have internet searchable catalogs.

A little off topic but I had the idea recently to create a family AI that would keep all of the knowledge of all of the books I own and focus on feeding it more quality content from sources I actually trust. I've noticed that for my work, I rarely go search the internet anymore to solve a technical question--I use an AI. But most of these AI systems are trained by scraping the internet (horrible data) that make them liberal, woke, and only able to push the global agenda to destroy humanity. The AI I use for work only has knowledge about what I actually do for work (which is very technical) so it is generally very trustworthy. Anyway, I think that in the future, anyone who wants to build a powerful family will need to have their own AI service.

If you don't want to use AI for ethical reasons, I think going off the internet for information is your only hope to maintain your own mental independence. None of the internet can be trusted. The way back machine is great but it too can be altered. Books can't be. Neither can a LLM (artificial intelligence) that is trained on information you control.

This personal AI thing is very interesting to me. In my circles, people often say they wish they had a "pocket Nick". It'd love an AI resource I could train in all the little details of my professional life and offer access to a copy of that data as a Pocket Nick (TM) service.

This personal AI thing is very interesting to me. In my circles, people often say they wish they had a "pocket Nick". It'd love an AI resource I could train in all the little details of my professional life and offer access to a copy of that data as a Pocket Nick (TM) service.
Interesting idea! That sounds like a thing. It could be the next evolution for content creators.

Love the "Pocket Nick" idea. Tangent to that is an idea- What are the specialties represented by the various families? For instance @MeganC is a chef by training, I am a teacher of aerospace disciplines, others have sheep and do you shear and spin and weave into cloth? Jump in and brag a little. Jack

What is a public library and where do I find one?

Post Edit, Something I am working on now is building my own library, since the public library's seem to be going the way of the dodos.
Dodo...psycho...who knows given the whole bit where librarian unions and librarians are actively working to expose children to pedophile predators

Probably. Our solution was to let out kids have limited access to the internet until they were adults. Our oldest son works building tents and is almost always listening to something informative.

The public library in Prescott is three stories and very nice. Even the one I remember from Young Arizona 30 years ago was clean and new....and full of books.
I miss libraries
I was in large part raised by grandparents who were more comfortable with their gradstudents than children, so I was frequently dropped off at the library in the morning and picked up after five. It was a pair of rambling old houses with a wide breezeway full of bookshelves. It was quiet as the grave and I could find a book and never be bothered.
The world has changed and not in a good way

Back