• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Support Little Help? LIVE Polygyny Debate Online Next Week!

So JD starts off the debate with the Appeal to Tradition "Christian position for essentially 2000 years". He is off by about 100 years, so he is being dishonest right off the bat. Then he jumps into the definist fallacy by claiming that it is a sin and a violation of the Law of Love, without specifying that this would only be true in the instance where a man took a second wife against the wishes of his first wife. Then he goes straight into the genetic fallacy by pointing out that the first marriage was monogamous. He elaborates on that by claiming that "this is marriage as it was supposed to be." This is the anecdotal Fallacy. Then he turns around and employs the Hasty Generalization fallacy by inplying that it was God's ideal that got distorted, when Scripture never claims that monogamy itself is God's ideal. He digresses into talking about Cain killing Abel, which was not God's ideal, and here he is employing the Composition fallacy. He then talks about Lamech, accusing him of being a godless man, which is in and of itself a false statement (proof by assertion), but even further, it is an Ad Hominem. an anecdote, and the Association Fallacy all rolled into one argument. He goes back to the Genetic fallacy and asks where does monogamy come from. Then when asking where does polygamy come from, he reiterates his Proof by Assertion "Evil Line of Cain" and resorts to those fallacies (Ad Hominam, Association, Anecdotal) once again, along with the proof by assertion claim that Lamech was essentially a mass murderer and was bragging, but unsubstantiated claims. He claims that Lamech broke God's ideal, which is proof by assertion and proof by association, when he ties it into killing someone, as if killing someone is always murder, which is the Composition Fallacy. He then resorts to a bit of Argument from Silence, "where we really don't see polygamy beyond that, until we get to the patriarchial period. Then he talks abotu Abraham and Hagar and says "we all know how that went", which is the False Cause fallacy, Affirming the Consequent and Appeal to anecdote, all rolled itno one. He called it a "sinful reality", which is again a Definist fallacy. He said that it led to utter disaster, which is again "Proof by Assertion" and the False Cause Fallacy. Next, he extraploates and claims that from that point we contiue to see that polagmy just produced "disaster, death, sin, it's all bad". This is False Cause, Retrospective Determinism and Appeal to Consequences, and the Division Fallacy.

This would be great to do on video breaking it down piece by piece.

I found another one not listed which goes along with the "essentially 2,000 years" claim and the "disaster, death, sin and only bad", and the :wicked line of Cain", "mass murderer" claims. It is called the "Alternate Truth Fallacy". Item #7 here: https://utminers.utep.edu/omwilliamson/engl1311/fallacies.htm
I don't think that checks out. No need to find a fallacy for an assertion that is completely unsupported. Just insist the one claiming he was a mass murderer prove it.

I don't think that checks out. No need to find a fallacy for an assertion that is completely unsupported. Just insist the one claiming he was a mass murderer prove it.
I saw a couple of other fallacies in that list. One that sticks out is the Half Truth Fallacy, although I would argue that it was not even halfway...maybe 1/4 truth.

Back