• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Support Thou shalt not Covet

Yes, I agree that Mormons are not properly Christian; and used by the adversary to publicly shame polygamy. So any Christian that thinks about polygamy the Christians against it remember about the sexual abuse, and the Mormon beliefs associated with it; instead of remembering Abraham, Moses, David, Gideon, and others were polygamists.
That is a good point. When a Christian man brings up the topic of polygyny what all the other Christians think about are the abuses of men like the false teacher/prophet Warren Jeffs and the FLDS. They should instead think about our fathers in the Faith, men like Abraham, Jacob, Moses, Gideon, David, Solomon, Jehoiada,.and Josiah.

But if you change it to “woman” which is technically still a “wife,” you can not have polygamy. Because lust for any woman = sin. Therefore polygamy is forbidden and marriage becomes a necessary evil to have children. But this deceptive teaching comes at a cost - it could be sending untold millions upon millions of Christian men into the lake of fire for simply lusting for any woman.
You are kinda right, but I think also blowing things out of proportion.

No man goes to hell particularly for looking an unmarried woman with sexual desire mistakenly thinking it is adultery of the heart.

Men go to hell because they are rebels against God, who fell into rebellion with their father Adam, and have continued in that rebellion themselves, sinning all their lives.

Men do not escape the condemnation of hell because they don't sin. They escape hell because Christ bore the wrath of God in their place, and they receive His grace as a gift. Then, they turn from sin and follow Christ.

Still, the mistranslation of this word does greatly (and unnecessarily) harm a lot of people.

That is a good point. When a Christian man brings up the topic of polygyny what all the other Christians think about are the abuses...
That's right. This goes for bringing up patriarchy, corporal punishment, arranged marriage, and much more! The perceived potential for harm gives their minds an instant exit that helps them avoid considering the gnarly possibility that such powerful things could be of God, acknowledgment of which would be a serious blow to their worldview.

That's right. This goes for bringing up patriarchy, corporal punishment, arranged marriage, and much more! The perceived potential for harm gives their minds an instant exit that helps them avoid considering the gnarly possibility that such powerful things could be of God, acknowledgment of which would be a serious blow to their worldview.
Very good point

So if most of the Christian teenagers and men have been taught that looking at any woman with lust - and they still do it - they’ve indeed committed adultery - which was punishable by death in the mosaic law. A teenager can literally commit adultery simply by going on a date with his girlfriend if he’s not “extremely” careful. I’m not even touching the other places he can fall into lust for a woman (tv shows, movies, magazines at grocery stores, internet, at the beach, etc).

I would dare to say that the average man has "lusted" or desired a woman over 1,000 times in his life...minimum. If you're a man, you know what I am saying is true. That includes every church leader and preacher also. Some do train their eyes to not gaze at the body, but they all fall short of that sometimes. Guaranteed.

No man goes to hell particularly for looking an unmarried woman with sexual desire mistakenly thinking it is adultery of the heart.

Men go to hell because they are rebels against God, who fell into rebellion with their father Adam, and have continued in that rebellion themselves, sinning all their lives.

Men do not escape the condemnation of hell because they don't sin. They escape hell because Christ bore the wrath of God in their place, and they receive His grace as a gift. Then, they turn from sin and follow Christ.

Still, the mistranslation of this word does greatly (and unnecessarily) harm a lot of people.
1 John 3:16

No one who lives in him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him.

2 Peter 20-21

20 And when people escape from the wickedness of the world by knowing our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and then get tangled up and enslaved by sin again, they are worse off than before. 21 It would be better if they had never known the way to righteousness than to know it and then reject the command they were given to live a holy life.

If a person that’s already Christian believes it’s adultery to look at any woman with lust (desire to have her), and continues to practice this sin as a regular occurrence; so by he gets entangled to it, then I would venture to say it’s possible that person was never part of Christ to begin with (their faith wasn’t true faith - the faith that brings repentance and sanctification through Holy Spirit):

1 John 2:19
They went out from us, but they did not really belong to us. For if they had belonged to us, they would have remained with us; but their going showed that none of them belonged to us.

1 John 3:16

No one who lives in him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him.

2 Peter 20-21

20 And when people escape from the wickedness of the world by knowing our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and then get tangled up and enslaved by sin again, they are worse off than before. 21 It would be better if they had never known the way to righteousness than to know it and then reject the command they were given to live a holy life.

If a person that’s already Christian believes it’s adultery to look at any woman with lust (desire to have her), and continues to practice this sin as a regular occurrence; so by he gets entangled to it, then I would venture to say it’s possible that person was never part of Christ to begin with (their faith wasn’t true faith - the faith that brings repentance and sanctification through Holy Spirit):

1 John 2:19
They went out from us, but they did not really belong to us. For if they had belonged to us, they would have remained with us; but their going showed that none of them belonged to us.
Sounds right to me 👍

One of the Big Ten says, "Thou shalt not covet." Many think this means you cant desire to have something. If that is so then all of Capitalism (the free exchange of goods) is in violation of the 10 Commandment of God. Why cant I desire the neighbors plow horse (or his really fast mustang gt 500)? Me thinks we have lost something in translation here.
In Exodus 20:17 the Hebrew word for covet is chamad Strong's H2530. The word chamad appears in the tenth commandment of the famous Ten Commandments given to Mosheh on Mount Sinai. The root meaning of "chamad" is "to desire" or "to take pleasure in." It carries the idea of an intense longing or craving for something. Chamad" is used in various contexts throughout the Old Covenant.

There are several words in Greek that it is used to convey this idea and one is used in:

And the Pharisees, who (loved silver), also heard all this, and were sneering at Him, (Luke 16:14)

The word taken from the "Scriptures 2009" is "loved silver" is the Greek word, philarguros G5366 meaning loving money, avarice.

The other is the Greek word epithumeō G1937 meaning to set the heart upon, that is, long for (rightfully or otherwise), to turn upon a thing, to lust after, covet.

You heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ “But I say to you that everyone looking at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart. (Matthew 5:27-28)

This should actually be translated like this: You shall not commit Adultery. "But I say unto that everyone looking at a "wife" to covet for her has already commited adultery with her in his heart.

This is about the taking of something that doesn't belong to you and in this case it is about the wife. Yahushua, or as he is commonly called Jesus, is cautioning against the temptation to harbor inappropriate desires for someone who is not one's spouse, recognizing that such thoughts can lead to sinful actions and harm the sanctity of marriage. His brother agrees with them when he writes:

But each one is enticed when he is drawn away by his own desires and trapped. Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin. And sin, when it has been accomplished, brings forth death.
(James 1:14-15)

This is interesting in light of coveteousness, and he warns us it's a trap (que in General Akbar Meme).

Yahweh bless and shalom to you all. :)

Back