• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Tips for Sisterwives #1

Ginny

Real Person
Female
Not quite sure where to post this. Though I'm not new to plural marriage, I'm new to regular posting (and perusing) the forum so I'm just putting this here in hopes that it is the correct place. If not, I have full confidence that the leadership of Biblical Families will give it a good home.

First, I'd like to mention that I don't love the term "Sisterwife". In our family, we don't refer to each other as sisterwives. We just use names. Never really had a need for a title I guess. Though it's a good word for the relationship, it doesn't really work for me personally (and I can safely represent the two other women in our family on this issue as well). But since I'm here, and it's a rather universally used term for the relationship between the women in a plural marriage, I'll just stick with it. At this point, it's easier for me. I'd rather just get on with this post. :)

Most people think that the big elephant in the plural marriage room is the jealousy. The envy. Lots of hand-wringing about how much time the husband spends with each wife and if everyone will be happy at the end of the day. In the early years of our family those things were certainly a big issue. You grow as a family and you learn how to be a little more selfless and a lot more forgiving. Someday, I might write a post about how to get through that season. That's not where I'm going with this today though.

I'm here to tell you that in my experience there are bigger issues that arise and most of those issues are between the women.

Let me just tell you the story that inspired this post...

Our family is really great at celebrations. There have been years that we have literally been dirt poor and somehow found a way to kick back and enjoy an evening with family and friends. We like to celebrate life. We like to lift a glass (or plastic cup) to toast the good things God does in our family and our world. We do this a lot on birthdays. Or anniversaries. Or because the day ended in a "y". You get the picture.

That means we spruce up the house, pour a drink, and eat something cooked. And we sit outside and listen to music and talk. A lot. We are pros at this party thing.

So yesterday was one of those celebratory birthdays. A party for Andrew and Cheryl's son's twentieth year. Lots to plan for events like this. Even low-key ones involve a lot of preparation and work.

I'm running around the house, doing daily life stuff and getting ready for the party. All the other adults are out in meetings and teaching lessons and whatnot. It's just me here with the kids.

I get a text from Cheryl making sure the kids are cleaning the house.

Seems pretty innocuous right?

Um. Not when you've got some independent pride and defensiveness woven into your American culture-saturated soul...

I'll tell you right now, after you've gotten over the "jealousy issues" of plural marriage, the real work begins. Living with other women - especially brilliant, talented, beautiful women - is a tough gig. Forget who the hubs hugged more yesterday or who got a date night recently. That new knick knack is NOT going on the kitchen counter. And I hate that couch. And I'd rather clean the garage on Friday instead of Monday. And that's not now MY mother made mashed potatoes. See? It can get pretty scary pretty fast.

Back to my story.

I get this text from Cheryl. And my immediate response (in my head, thank God) is "Don't tell me what to do. You go teach piano. I'll handle the house." So I did the smart thing and I didn't respond right away (There's an extra tip for you: don't respond right away. That one's free of charge, folks).

Instead I took a minute to pray about it. I don't like feeling those negative emotions. I don't like that it puts distance between me and Cheryl (even if she doesn't even know I'm feeling that way). Defensive. Prideful. Arrogant. It's just ugly. It's not who I want to be - in life or my marriage or my relationship with Cheryl (or Ann of course).

God calmed my heart and reminded me to remember that I love Cheryl. I do. I'd lay down my life for her in a heartbeat. Funny how that works, isn't it? I'm willing to take a bullet for her but I find it difficult to stuff my pride in response to a text. I'm a work in progress.

I responded with a nice (not forced or fake) text and told her that things at home were going great.

Then I went to check on the kids and make sure they were helping to clean up. I heard myself say these words to them when I noticed they were a little less than enthusiastic about having to clear the floor of their LEGO projects:

"Hey guys, I know it's not fun to do this. I get it. Oh man, do I get it. But Mom asked me to ask you to clean up for our guests this evening and we do this because we love her. I may think the house looks fine. And YOU may think the house looks fine. But it doesn't matter. What matters is that we show her love by taking care of a few extra things."

I said it with love. Not a single ounce of bitterness or poorly hidden resentment. She came home and the house looked great and she glowed with gratitude and words of praise for me and the kids. Not gonna lie. It was pretty awesome. I felt like love increased and that just added to the beauty and the blessing of the whole evening.

This lifestyle is always a work in progress. Just when I think I've mastered some aspect of it, God opens another door and shows me another area to work on. Sometimes, it's really difficult. I don't always get to see the rewards. But sometimes I do. And in those moments my heart just aches to tell people about it. Not to brag on myself - it's obviously NOT me who gets the credit or the glory. I want to share so I can help and encourage others.

So here is my tip for Sisterwives:

REMEMBER THE LOVE.

Seek it out in all situations. It's not the "magic happy pill" but it's close. I'm living proof that love changes, heals, and transforms ugliness into grace, pride into peace, and it helped this selfish soul learn the beauty and contentment found in serving.

Thank you for reading this. I'm grateful for this forum (and the people who come here and post here and read here). May you be blessed in your life and in ALL of your relationships.

Love and Light,
Ginny

Thank you for sharing this, Ginny. Even though I am not a woman, I really appreciate reading a woman's perspective on the practical side of polygyny.

Awesome! I'm thinking this is the perfect place for it, because it's sort of aimed at ladies, but since it's here we as guys can respond as well!

Additionally, we're right there with you on using terms here on the website that we might not actually "like" just because it's the commonly used vernacular. Among Cherie and Theresa and I we just say "large family" when referring to multiple wives because of the potentially negative connotations and "baggage" connected to the term "polygamy". People here the word "polygamy" and think of Fundamentalist Mormons and prairie dresses, and that's just not descriptive of us.

Kinda torn on "Sister wife" as a term. It's really not as heavily steeped in baggage, and is overall not bad and feels more personal than "co-wife" or "other wife" or whatever. But I can also totally see not really caring for it.

Thank you so much for sharing this!

This is a situation that can actually also happen in mono marriage. But the more adults in the house, the more chance this will happen. I love how you are able to really look at your own role in this and how you are able to learn from these situations!

Last edited:
Wow Ginny, what a real life scenario!! One doesn't get to read that much of these REAL stories, people tend to theorize SO MUCH but this is absolutely breath taking as to how situations get transformed if the right attitude is fought for. You are blessed.

Hi Ginny. Thank you for sharing this very insightful story as it deals with the reality of daily life - something we need to understand in very practical ways. May I ask, is there any place/thread I can find more of these sorts of stories as this is what I'm looking for at the moment. Blessing to you all.

Great! You have a reader ready and waiting... .
While you are there Andrew, I've enjoyed reading your comments and particularly the biblical content; have you put together any material regarding the position you yourself have on key Bible doctrines? Cheers.

Great! You have a reader ready and waiting... .
While you are there Andrew, I've enjoyed reading your comments and particularly the biblical content; have you put together any material regarding the position you yourself have on key Bible doctrines? Cheers.
I'll send you something I wrote about 10 years ago—about 20 pages, covers all the relevant scriptures I could come up with at the time. Also, check out the Biblical section of our website for more info.

We may be resurrecting the book idea. Interesting convo broke out at my house this morning. Further bulletins as events warrant.

Hi Ginny. Thank you for sharing this very insightful story as it deals with the reality of daily life - something we need to understand in very practical ways. May I ask, is there any place/thread I can find more of these sorts of stories as this is what I'm looking for at the moment. Blessing to you all.

I'm with Andrew on this. I/we have many stories like this. They just need to be written...

I know this is an old post, but I’m just coming back around lol

I mean amen? If I may be raw and honest, I really really really like NOT living with them for this and other reasons. I found myself resonating with this recently Ginny when I received a txt saying
“I wish I were there to help you out with dinner.”
I was coming off as a bit overwhelmed with a few things as a new wife and this text came from a good place, I know. But my response? “Thank you, but I’m perfectly capable of making a meal lol.”
I wasn’t really laughing and I knew after I sent it how ugly it sounded. But I was already feeling defeated and didn’t need his “real” wife to come to my rescue. (My thought process often, unfortunately). The reply was a simple and gracious “you’re welcome.”
And then...even more recently there was the unease of attending the ladies retreat together. We had never done anything together as SWs, not really, and I had never been in a space with her where I was even recognized as a wife. Our sharing styles are very different and I’m really reserved about our business, where she is wide open about the good, bad and ugly, so all I could do was brace myself for what I knew would come. My husband almost pulled the plug on us going because of my dread.
“No. She’s really excited, and love can conquer this one...I’ll be ok.”
The weekend wasn’t without some discomfort, but overall it was amazing on more than one level. Plus, we made pretty decent roomies ;)

I’m thankful God helped me get past myself on this one...

Thank you Ginny and Cheri Q! As a new 2nd wife after a life time of being a 1st wife, these comments really help me remember things that are important to pay attention to. My past experiences help me see how difficult being a first wife must be, so that helps me be mindful of areas to work on in my own responses. But I appreciate all kinds of helpful hints because I love my husband and sw and want to put them first, but not lose myself in the process.

Very nice and well written story. There sure are a lot of challenges my wives have to overcome, especially when it is something they don't like, this happens almost daily. What tends to occur is the issues get brought to me to handle between them, so it tends to be, "she didn't clean up after cooking" type comments. They don't want the other wife upset at them so I am the one who ends up being the bad guy, no matter how loving I present it. Personally I don't know how else to work around this, No matter who says it someone is upset or defensive.

I really appreciate your comment of doing it out of love not "fake". I hear the ladies say that sometimes that "I will just be fake on the outside". This never sits right for me but seems normal for the ladies to do. Prayer and submitting to God is the Key. Yet I understand when your upset some times you don't want to pray...

Thank you for sharing a bit into your life and home, always nice to see others experiences!

Back