TNOvercomer
New Member
After 2,000 years of church history and Greco-Roman and Church culture that denigrated polygyny, it is only by the grace of God that we are all here, understanding, believing, and trusting in His perfect wisdom and grace....I am generally curious what God used in your life to open your eyes and heart, to push back the onslaught of propaganda of monogamy only thinking, to have the courage to truly see what scripture and God are actually saying....what did God use to move you to a position of polygyny? And probably Biblical marriage, family, submission, etc. as those all go together...
For us, the first piece was my wife's previous experience with polygyny when she was younger. She left it because of worldly and church influences and did not fully understand it Biblically at the time. Then after we were married, and my being a pastor and being able to dig into the exegesis and theology of different things, we talked about it. I had just accepted the mainstream church position and never questioned it, like so many others did. I assumed that those who hold to a polygynous position were cultic, kooky, and not doing good Biblical hermeneutics. I dismissed her thoughts about it early on in our marriage because I assumed it was not correct and I gave her a bunch of the standard sloppy arguments that the mainstream normy crowd gives....we all see those. I was one of those guys! The male individual in her life when she was younger was wise, explained things thoroughly, but she was not mature enough at the time to truly grasp and accept it. She looks back and realizes the man was wise, and mature, and knew what he was talking about. I was truly curious then that a wise, mature man who knew His Bible could make such a terrible mistake in understanding such an important theological topic as marriage. So I started researching and reading on polygyny to understand him and more importantly, my wife's experience. I started reading Rob Kowalski's book Man of Options first. Only God knows why that was the first one. That book was not simply the crack in the wall as Rob describes as well, his book was also the cannon that shattered the whole thing. His arguments were exegetically sound, argued with compassion, understanding, and a deep insight into the modern American culture and church. He dealt with all my questions and suspicions before I even got to them....So I read the book again with my wife, out loud. We had plenty of moments where I stopped reading, she or I or both of us sighed, we looked at each other, we had those moments where you just mouth an exclamation and we started to realize this position was right all along....we kept reading, kept researching, kept digging....and the more we discovered, the more the design that God has for us in a Biblical polygynous marriage and family is so genius, so perfect, so beautiful, so wise....but it started with Rob's book, "Man of Options". We are thankful to God for Rob's ministry and his heart to do all that he has. Many marriages, families, and children have been blessed by it.
What is yours?
For us, the first piece was my wife's previous experience with polygyny when she was younger. She left it because of worldly and church influences and did not fully understand it Biblically at the time. Then after we were married, and my being a pastor and being able to dig into the exegesis and theology of different things, we talked about it. I had just accepted the mainstream church position and never questioned it, like so many others did. I assumed that those who hold to a polygynous position were cultic, kooky, and not doing good Biblical hermeneutics. I dismissed her thoughts about it early on in our marriage because I assumed it was not correct and I gave her a bunch of the standard sloppy arguments that the mainstream normy crowd gives....we all see those. I was one of those guys! The male individual in her life when she was younger was wise, explained things thoroughly, but she was not mature enough at the time to truly grasp and accept it. She looks back and realizes the man was wise, and mature, and knew what he was talking about. I was truly curious then that a wise, mature man who knew His Bible could make such a terrible mistake in understanding such an important theological topic as marriage. So I started researching and reading on polygyny to understand him and more importantly, my wife's experience. I started reading Rob Kowalski's book Man of Options first. Only God knows why that was the first one. That book was not simply the crack in the wall as Rob describes as well, his book was also the cannon that shattered the whole thing. His arguments were exegetically sound, argued with compassion, understanding, and a deep insight into the modern American culture and church. He dealt with all my questions and suspicions before I even got to them....So I read the book again with my wife, out loud. We had plenty of moments where I stopped reading, she or I or both of us sighed, we looked at each other, we had those moments where you just mouth an exclamation and we started to realize this position was right all along....we kept reading, kept researching, kept digging....and the more we discovered, the more the design that God has for us in a Biblical polygynous marriage and family is so genius, so perfect, so beautiful, so wise....but it started with Rob's book, "Man of Options". We are thankful to God for Rob's ministry and his heart to do all that he has. Many marriages, families, and children have been blessed by it.
What is yours?