• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

What is Love? Baby don't hurt me...

Yes, Slumberfreeze did an excellent job of dissecting 1 Corinthians 13 and applying it to marriage, and I agree that is the best scriptural answer to the question.

I must admit I am still confused what "canoe for transporting feminine hygeine products" could possibly be a euphamism for, but am not sure I want to know...

FH, I'm sorry but I cannot agree with you.

Men were commanded to love their wives as Christ loves the church. Christ stated that those whom he loves He rebukes and disciplines if they are in sin (from the context of "be zealous therefore and repent). He does not rebuke and discipline those who don't need it. Men are commanded to hold their wives accountable. So, it isn't so much that the man has the Scriptural authority to physically discipline his wife if he chooses to, of course he has that authority, rather, it's that he has the obligation to hold her accountable for her behavior. And if it takes physical discipline because she's that way, then it would be a refusal to love his wife if he refused to do so.

I understand that Slumberfreeze is making the argument that the definition of love does not include physically disciplining a wife even when she truly needs it. And, since the husband is the only one who can make that decision, to take that attitude is to say that he refuses to love his wife in certain areas, because in his opinion it's not necessary. However, if Christ disciplines us when we need it, then obviously adults sometimes need it and that includes wives. To claim that is something that should not happen to wives is to say there are some areas in which he refuses to hold his wife accountable and thus refuses to love her. There are some spots she'll just have to live with because he refuses to go there. He'd rather allow her to suffer in her sin than correct her.

All this goes all the way back to Genesis 3:16. What does that word "rule" mean? No pastor in his right mind will preach on that. Not if he wants to keep his job.

And the idea of kink is silly. You are being judgmental in violation of Romans 14 and should be ashamed of yourselves. Perhaps someone could tell me what this word "Kink" means if it somehow means anything other than "something *I* wouldn't do."

I'd also like to point out how ridiculous it sounds to me to talk about how much women really want to be spanked for being naughty.

UntoldGlory, you are conflating a goal with a mechanism. I said some women would act like a brat in order to get the spanking they wanted. Not the same thing. Some women like to be spanked occasionally by the *right* man. But not just any man. In my experience, it only happens after the woman has been spanked a time or two. Otherwise it's dormant. You and Slumberfreeze call "KINK" like it's a sin. Really? Sounds Popish to me.

Maybe you like to have your back scratched occasionally or like it if your wife gets in the shower with you and scrubs your back. Not just any woman, only your wife. Please tell me how either spanking or backscratching is more of a "kink" than the other. Seriously. Is showering with your wife OK but its kinky if you turn the light out and do it in darkness? Is letting your wife manscape you with a straight-razor kinky? This word kinky is being tossed around as a tool to shame and vilify. Contrary to the commandment not to judge. I might think putting ketchup on prime rib is a perversion (I confess, I do), but that doesn't make it wrong and we are commanded not to judge.

As nearly as I can tell, kinky is one of those words applied almost exclusively to women. Which makes it a backhanded accusation of being a slut because where would she have gotten those desires and proclivities otherwise? And why would anyone care what turns someone else's crank behind closed doors if they're married? The Catholic church floated that doctrine for centuries, saying the church had the right and responsibility to police the marital bed. Phooie.

As far as abuse, I've recently been seeing one woman in particular who *loves* it when I slap her on the ass. Especially in public. I would love to see you try to tell her that it's abuse because a couple of weeks ago some old harridan saw me do it and said just that. The old biddy was told in very precise and graphic language that it was none of her business and she only wished she had a man who could slap her ass and make her smile. I've been doing things like that all my life and as a rule the women love it. Last year I got to know a masochist and we had some long conversations about her particular desires in that area. I don't claim to understand the mechanism, but I can agree with her that if she uses pain to achieve a state of ecstasy then that's her gig and more power to her. Show me where God said that's wrong.

people who want to justify acting like a "canoe for transporting feminine hygiene products"

Contextually that seems to be aimed at me and it's probably either an age or geographic thing, but I have no idea what that means. Feel like elaborating?

I think one thing that drives Christian men nuts in this feminized environment of today is what Scripture actually says about women, which conflicts wildly with the desire of most men to put them on a pedestal. Genesis 3:16 did NOT say that he would rule over his wife only in certain things or only if she agreed. Numbers 30 specifically said all vows, all agreements, even the rash words out of her lips that have binding obligations are subject to review by her husband. Yes, he has the authority... but that means he has the responsibility and obligation to review them. He doesn't get to say "Well, you agreed to it..." and one day the husband will be judged on this. Ephesians 5 says submit in *everything* without exceptions. NOT "everything except that." In context with the rest of Scripture, "weaker vessel" is not talking about women being physically less strong than men. Women are to be held accountable, lovingly.

There are two major reasons why this makes most Christian men *extremely* uncomfortable: they don't want to be vilified and shamed by feminists for acknowledging the truth of what Scripture says; and the responsibilities of the husband are far, far greater than men want to acknowledge.

It's so much easier for men to claim they don't have the authority and therefore don't have the obligatory responsibility to hold their wives accountable for their behavior. The flip-side of Genesis 3:16 is an obligation for men to be fit to rule. I see maybe one out of five hundred who are fit to rule, with a handful more who come close.

There are other things I could say because it's way more complex than that. Try living in a house with 4 women all cycling together and all of them have PMS. You'll learn things about women. Their girlfriends come over and you're not invisible, but they'll say anything in front of you. Try observing first-hand that women will do things for a man they are highly attracted to that they absolutely will not do for a man they are not that attracted to. My experience and first-hand observations over the years indicates that when a woman is highly attracted to a man she will share him (threesomes), she will submit to him, she will go out of her way to take care of him, she will desire to be held accountable by him (and yes, that includes getting spanked), basically she won't say no to what he wants. The same woman with a less-attractive man (she settled) will absolutely refuse to do that sort of thing because the guy she settled for doesn't get her best. And the word "attractive" does NOT have to do with looks, although looks can be part of it. Start with masculine dominance and massive confidence and pile other things like looks, money, power and status on top of that. That's attractive.

Women will deny this stuff, most of them anyway. So think about 1st Peter 3:6. What is that fear Peter is talking about? Where does it come from? What can take away that fear? Ever had a woman call you "master" and mean it? I'm not talking about a BDSM relationship. I believe that it is the confidence of the man that makes him attractive and that confidence drives away the fear in the women. To put it in different words, women tend to be highly attracted to men they can call "master" and they cannot do that with a man they are not highly attracted to. Because they're scared of giving him that much control. Because they don't completely trust him. Which is why they are not highly attracted to him.

Well I'm not going to go point for point with you on this.

Although it would be entertaining to have you tell me some more things about myself, I don't think it would serve any further purpose. And I think we've made our points clearly enough that a future reader will understand where we stand on this matter, and will have ample information to draw their own conclusions.

Slumberfreeze, I'm not familiar with that appellation either. What is a "douchecanoe"? To put it in context, I was a serious asshole when I was selected for special training. I was trained by some of the finest assholes the world has ever seen, but I was not able to complete my training. I am widely recognized as being a complete asshole, but I never became a perfect asshole. I'm not sure how being a douche fits into that. And... only someone who is familiar with the peculiar rank of the Marine Corps Gunner would have the capacity to understand that...

I could not tell you anything about you that you have not indicated by what you've written because I don't know you. Notice that I didn't bother to respond to your point about me opposing your culture. I don't know what it is. And, your analysis is the way it is. I predict that well over 90% of everyone who reads this thread will side with you. That won't make you right and it won't make them right, but feelings are still feelings.

What is a "douchecanoe"?
I don't know. I was using the term long before I even knew what a douche was. I'm given to understand it's like mouthwash for a vagina. The douchcanoes of my post are the the husbands referenced in 1 Peter 3. Your assholiness was not in view when I used the term.

I think of myself as an a-hole as well, although I have no military service to reference in relation to it. One of my main hungers is to see what Jesus spoke of when he said: "By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love (agape) one to another."

This is a thing I have not seen. I have not seen it. I see Christians being jerks to each other and excusing their jerkiness. I have never seen the brethren being showing such love to each other that even non-christian will identify them as belonging to Jesus. This is why I try to cut my arguments short before I display my 'A' side. The kingdom won't be served by it.

And Lord help me, if agape really is contentious like that, I'll be an introvert in Heaven too.

I mostly agree with Slumber about further discussion being fairly pointless, though I will offer some clarification.

First, I don't think kinky behavior is limited in any way to women, nor is it inherently bad. Whatever married people do together in a *consensual, safe, and loving* manner is A-OK in my book. However, the tone that comes across to me, and at least apparently to Slumber, is that your attitude towards physical "discipline" in regards to women seems to be skewed. Not only in an apparent overly strong desire to carry out that "discipline", but a misinterpretation of the attitudes and response towards such activity in the women around you.

Specifically, I cannot think of any situation in which it would EVER be appropriate for a man to tell another man's wife that she needs to be spanked! And the response... well, to me it displays three options: 1) She was attempting humor 2) You run in some circles that you probably need to be *real* careful with and above reproach 3) The response wasn't actually that, but perhaps you interpreted it that way through your own filters. My guess? Combo of heavy #2, bit of #3. But that's only based on my own observations of life.

Eristophanes, I agree with you that a man technically has the authority to spank his wife, since scripture does not clearly condemn it. You say "It's so much easier for men to claim they don't have the authority" - but nobody here is claiming men don't have that authority. I haven't read that in anyone's posts.

There are two separate practices you are conflating:
1) Spanking a wife as corporal punishment for misbehaviour
2) Spanking a wife because she likes to be spanked and finds it erotic
I am going to address each of these separately.

1) Corporal punishment
This only works if the person receiving it does NOT like it. I've got enough children to realise that a punishment that is considered a reward is not a punishment. If a wife (or a child) wants to be spanked, and you decide you need to punish her, the LAST thing you would do is spank her! If you did, you'd be rewarding her bad behaviour and encouraging her to continue to disobey you to get her "punishment" (actually her reward). This is why corporal punishment is completely separate to erotic behaviour.

In my experience with children and animals, corporal punishment is most useful with very young children, and animals, who do not have the language or reasoning skills to understand the reasons why they should not do what they did. If a dog attacks a sheep, I'll give it a thrashing and pin it down with the sheep it attacked - because I cannot talk to the dog and explain "if you bite sheep you will injure them, which will reduce our farm revenue, and reduce my ability to purchase your dog food", so I use the language of a dog to another dog - physical punishment and dominance through physical action. The same principle applies to very young children, although the punishment is obviously entirely different. A child who keeps trying to touch a fireplace can be trained not to by flicking their hand whenever they try to touch it. The result is less pain and physical harm than if they actually burnt their hand, but rapid training that "fire = pain" so they avoid being harmed worse in future. Corporal punishment is good for training basic reflexes.

As a child gets older, the effectiveness of corporal punishment decreases, and the effectiveness of rational discussion increases. I'm not going to argue the precise line (everyone has a different opinion there), but by the time the child is in their late teens if a parent is still having to resort to a wooden spoon the effectiveness of their parenting technique probably has some room for improvement, by then a well trained child should have no need of that.

A wife is an adult. I would generally feel that by that stage of her psychological development there would be far more effective methods of discipline that could be employed, if a husband decided punishment was justified. I can see very few situations where agape would require physical punishment of a wife. I am NOT saying that agape definately rules it out, I can imagine that there could be some extremely unusual situation I cannot think of where it might be justified - but as a general rule I can't see it being a useful application of agape.

2) Fun
This is what is labelled "kink". I am not sure why you find that word derogatory, do you have something against kinky sex? Kink just, by definition, means "unconventional sexual preferences or behaviour". Nothing wrong with that, and nobody has said anything is wrong about it. If you both enjoy back-scratching in the shower, butt slapping, padded handcuffs and blindfolds, or anything else odd, you go for it. The Bible never says anything against it. Others might think it is weird, but they're not going to find a solid scriptural argument that it is wrong. Enjoy your butt-slapping.

But if she's enjoying it, it is NOT punishment, it's "kink" - in other words, it's just playful fun, go for it.

Last edited:
FH, I'm sorry but I cannot agree with you.

Men were commanded to love their wives as Christ loves the church. Christ stated that those whom he loves He rebukes and disciplines if they are in sin (from the context of "be zealous therefore and repent). He does not rebuke and discipline those who don't need it. Men are commanded to hold their wives accountable. So, it isn't so much that the man has the Scriptural authority to physically discipline his wife if he chooses to, of course he has that authority, rather, it's that he has the obligation to hold her accountable for her behavior. And if it takes physical discipline because she's that way, then it would be a refusal to love his wife if he refused to do so.

I understand that Slumberfreeze is making the argument that the definition of love does not include physically disciplining a wife even when she truly needs it. And, since the husband is the only one who can make that decision, to take that attitude is to say that he refuses to love his wife in certain areas, because in his opinion it's not necessary. However, if Christ disciplines us when we need it, then obviously adults sometimes need it and that includes wives. To claim that is something that should not happen to wives is to say there are some areas in which he refuses to hold his wife accountable and thus refuses to love her. There are some spots she'll just have to live with because he refuses to go there. He'd rather allow her to suffer in her sin than correct her.

All this goes all the way back to Genesis 3:16. What does that word "rule" mean? No pastor in his right mind will preach on that. Not if he wants to keep his job.

And the idea of kink is silly. You are being judgmental in violation of Romans 14 and should be ashamed of yourselves. Perhaps someone could tell me what this word "Kink" means if it somehow means anything other than "something *I* wouldn't do."

I'd also like to point out how ridiculous it sounds to me to talk about how much women really want to be spanked for being naughty.

UntoldGlory, you are conflating a goal with a mechanism. I said some women would act like a brat in order to get the spanking they wanted. Not the same thing. Some women like to be spanked occasionally by the *right* man. But not just any man. In my experience, it only happens after the woman has been spanked a time or two. Otherwise it's dormant. You and Slumberfreeze call "KINK" like it's a sin. Really? Sounds Popish to me.

Maybe you like to have your back scratched occasionally or like it if your wife gets in the shower with you and scrubs your back. Not just any woman, only your wife. Please tell me how either spanking or backscratching is more of a "kink" than the other. Seriously. Is showering with your wife OK but its kinky if you turn the light out and do it in darkness? Is letting your wife manscape you with a straight-razor kinky? This word kinky is being tossed around as a tool to shame and vilify. Contrary to the commandment not to judge. I might think putting ketchup on prime rib is a perversion (I confess, I do), but that doesn't make it wrong and we are commanded not to judge.

As nearly as I can tell, kinky is one of those words applied almost exclusively to women. Which makes it a backhanded accusation of being a slut because where would she have gotten those desires and proclivities otherwise? And why would anyone care what turns someone else's crank behind closed doors if they're married? The Catholic church floated that doctrine for centuries, saying the church had the right and responsibility to police the marital bed. Phooie.

As far as abuse, I've recently been seeing one woman in particular who *loves* it when I slap her on the ass. Especially in public. I would love to see you try to tell her that it's abuse because a couple of weeks ago some old harridan saw me do it and said just that. The old biddy was told in very precise and graphic language that it was none of her business and she only wished she had a man who could slap her ass and make her smile. I've been doing things like that all my life and as a rule the women love it. Last year I got to know a masochist and we had some long conversations about her particular desires in that area. I don't claim to understand the mechanism, but I can agree with her that if she uses pain to achieve a state of ecstasy then that's her gig and more power to her. Show me where God said that's wrong.

people who want to justify acting like a "canoe for transporting feminine hygiene products"

Contextually that seems to be aimed at me and it's probably either an age or geographic thing, but I have no idea what that means. Feel like elaborating?

I think one thing that drives Christian men nuts in this feminized environment of today is what Scripture actually says about women, which conflicts wildly with the desire of most men to put them on a pedestal. Genesis 3:16 did NOT say that he would rule over his wife only in certain things or only if she agreed. Numbers 30 specifically said all vows, all agreements, even the rash words out of her lips that have binding obligations are subject to review by her husband. Yes, he has the authority... but that means he has the responsibility and obligation to review them. He doesn't get to say "Well, you agreed to it..." and one day the husband will be judged on this. Ephesians 5 says submit in *everything* without exceptions. NOT "everything except that." In context with the rest of Scripture, "weaker vessel" is not talking about women being physically less strong than men. Women are to be held accountable, lovingly.

There are two major reasons why this makes most Christian men *extremely* uncomfortable: they don't want to be vilified and shamed by feminists for acknowledging the truth of what Scripture says; and the responsibilities of the husband are far, far greater than men want to acknowledge.

It's so much easier for men to claim they don't have the authority and therefore don't have the obligatory responsibility to hold their wives accountable for their behavior. The flip-side of Genesis 3:16 is an obligation for men to be fit to rule. I see maybe one out of five hundred who are fit to rule, with a handful more who come close.

There are other things I could say because it's way more complex than that. Try living in a house with 4 women all cycling together and all of them have PMS. You'll learn things about women. Their girlfriends come over and you're not invisible, but they'll say anything in front of you. Try observing first-hand that women will do things for a man they are highly attracted to that they absolutely will not do for a man they are not that attracted to. My experience and first-hand observations over the years indicates that when a woman is highly attracted to a man she will share him (threesomes), she will submit to him, she will go out of her way to take care of him, she will desire to be held accountable by him (and yes, that includes getting spanked), basically she won't say no to what he wants. The same woman with a less-attractive man (she settled) will absolutely refuse to do that sort of thing because the guy she settled for doesn't get her best. And the word "attractive" does NOT have to do with looks, although looks can be part of it. Start with masculine dominance and massive confidence and pile other things like looks, money, power and status on top of that. That's attractive.

Women will deny this stuff, most of them anyway. So think about 1st Peter 3:6. What is that fear Peter is talking about? Where does it come from? What can take away that fear? Ever had a woman call you "master" and mean it? I'm not talking about a BDSM relationship. I believe that it is the confidence of the man that makes him attractive and that confidence drives away the fear in the women. To put it in different words, women tend to be highly attracted to men they can call "master" and they cannot do that with a man they are not highly attracted to. Because they're scared of giving him that much control. Because they don't completely trust him. Which is why they are not highly attracted to him.

I was going to go through this and pull out the parts I agree with but I agree with so much of it there was no point. This is the crux of the issue and the basis for the death of western Christianity. Eristophanes perfectly illustrates why men are abandoning Christianity and we will soon start seeing a surge of conversions to Islam among ethnic Christian men.

We want to sweep under the rug everything God says about marriage because it's too counter cultural and too radical and will get us labeled with uncomfortable names.

Wives are to submit in all the things and husbands are to love with the love of Christ, which has almost nothing to do with making wives happy or comfortable and in fact probably has more to do with stretching them and helping them grow.

Obviously Eristophanes loves to debate and win (a manly trait to be tempered not derided) and he loves to shock people out of complacency (as did John the Baptist and even Christ) but his core argument is exactly what we need to be discussing. Do we actually take God literally about what He says or do we just water it down a little less than everyone else?

I wanted to know what is the definition of the love we're commanded to have for our wives and we've demonstrated that it is the Corinthians love deliberately applied. I think that's important.
Great, so how do you know when you're doing I Cor 13?

It de-mystifies the whole thing and makes it applicable, something you can do as opposed to some Pentecostal style experiential anointing that has to be waited on from above.
Keep it up with the straw men....

Afterthought: By way of free association, I am reminded of a scene in my distant past. I am talking with the pastor and worship leader of the church where my family is presently assisting with the worship ministry. Due to our living out of town and commuting in for services, we don't typically make the irregular meetings that come up apart from Sundays and Wednesdays, so we missed a big prayer/healing special service that was held on a Tuesday night. So of course I had to get filled in when we came down on Wednesday.

The worship leader is setting the scene for me, telling me how many people came, what the music was like, how many people they prayed for, and he's getting really animated. He's obviously enjoying himself reliving the event, and he's talking about how great everybody felt and how he and the pastor were just laying hands on people left and right and how there was 'anointing oil everywhere' and how it just went on for hours.

The question I bit my tongue on was "so, did anyone get healed?". I didn't have to ask because I knew the answer. Nobody got healed that night. But man they had a great service!

We just took a couple of dozen posts to come to the profound conclusion that love might have something to do with 1 Cor 13. Assuming for the sake of argument that's the conclusion of the matter, the question remains, How are you going to know if you're doing it right?

I don't know if you can know for sure if you're doing it right. I take exception to the "straw man" characterization though.

Love gets thrown around a lot as sort of a spiritual snake oil and no one looks into what it might entail.

In fact I think love becomes a straw man for a lot of people. There starts to grow up this idea that doing the right things for the right reasons doesn't matter because we can love our way through it.

Last edited:
I don't know if you can know for sure if you're doing it right.
Then brother, what the heck did you mean by this?: "How do [we] discern if we're operating in love or not?"

And then the next question is: How many important projects are you involved in where you have no idea whether you are accomplishing your objective or not?...

I take exception to the "straw man" characterization though.

Love gets thrown around a lot as sort of a spiritual snake oil and no one looks into what it might entail.

In fact I think love becomes a straw man for a lot of people. There starts to grow up this idea that doing the right things for the right reasons doesn't matter because we can love our way through it.
In the immortal words of Inigo Montoya: "I do not think it means what you think it means."

A straw man "is a common form of argument and is an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument that was not advanced by that opponent." (h/t Wikipedia)

I would specifically suggest the following for candidates:
  • "gut instinct",
  • "finger in the wind",
  • "some Pentecostal style experiential anointing that has to be waited on from above".
Since nobody here is arguing for any of those things as an answer to your question, your advancing them as if they had something to do with the discussion is a form of straw man argument. A kind of mischaracterization of the argument as if it were really the argument.

Meanwhile, maybe we're done here. "I don't know if you can know for sure if you're doing it right." Is that your final answer?...

That's what I thought a straw man was and I still think love is a straw man for many people who address this question. A good husband loves his wife but we leave it there, we don't talk about how or what that looks like.

I don't know that we're done here because I don't know that we've answered the question fully.

If the love we're commanded to have for oh wives is the same love we're to have for everybody else, what's that mean? It flies in the face of everything we're taught culturally just as much as polygyny does.

I'm not comfortable with it. Is that the extent of how we're to love our wives?

Are you saying that if you are loving your wife with the same love as you love everyone else, that it seems that you aren't loving her enough?
Are you saying that if you are loving your wife with the same love as you love everyone else, that it seems that you aren't loving her enough?

Well it certainly doesn't seem like that is special enough. Maybe I need to get in to Song of Solomon.

Ha!

I brought up Song of Solomon on page 1, but general consensus seemed to be: 1) Emotions aren't a factor and 2) That wasn't the right root word or whatever.

So I happen to agree that there is much more to "loving" a wife vs "loving" a neighbor is a very different thing. Personally I believe the emotional connection a major part of it.

I agree. Christ's Agape is inclusive, not exclusive, so it wouldn't be very special. Especially since we know that "In Christ there is neither slave nor free, male nor female, Jew nor Greek". Agape is no respecter of persons, rank or proximity.

It just so happens that Agape should be easier to show for your wife than a stranger.

I would guess so that we don't forget to apply agape to our wives as well. Just because it should be easier doesn't mean that we won't entirely forget that our wives are more than just property. Especially since a proper biblical understanding of wives is that they are, indeed, a form of property.

As our wives they should enjoy first dibs on all the care and compassion and tenderness that Phileo can muster. But Phileo rises and falls with the pleasing nature of the loved. Phileo tends to perform poorly in the valleys (as Peter demonstrated). Agape is utterly unconcerned with metaphorical altitude. They aren't the same kind of love, (and agape is certainly not very touchy-feely) but when phileo isn't in the mood, a wife should be able to rely on her husband's agape. If he cannot or will not dote, he should at least be kind.

Back