• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

You Tube Channel: Your New Zealand Family

Love my automatic transmissions. I commute to the big city and am always in stop-n-go traffic for at least an hour. That's a lot of clutch work!
If that that stop and go traffic is found in a hilly city like Seattle or San Francisco, the the automatic really shines. The automatic also makes it easier to drink coffee and eat breakfast sandwiches while driving. 😉

I like vehicles either way. Manuals are nice for the improved acceleration and fuel efficiency, and automatics are nice for the convenience.

It's the same with handguns. I like revolvers and I like autoloaders, each for different reasons.

Regarding the US obsession with automatics, when we were in California we visited Sequoia national park. The road up the mountain is very steep and long. On the way up we met some young girls who had been coming down, parked on the side of the road with their brakes smoking. They had clearly been riding the brakes all the way down the hill. I asked if they knew how to engine brake, they didn't have a clue what I was talking about. I asked if they'd ever driven a manual, and none of them had. None of them knew what gears were. I had to teach them how gearboxes worked and teach them to change down and engine brake, in the hope they'd get to the bottom without killing themselves (they were lucky they hadn't done so already). They'd grown up in LA and always driven on the flat.

It should be mandatory to learn to drive in a manual, just so you know how vehicles work, even if you end up using automatics.
I like vehicles either way. Manuals are nice for the improved acceleration and fuel efficiency, and automatics are nice for the convenience.
Both are good when they're new and the battery is fully charged. And as @Maddog says, automatics are good for stop-go traffic. They're also good when driving in the snow, less likely to spin the wheels.

But when the battery is flat, manuals can be towstarted or even push started - you can even push start a small manual car by yourself if you have a good flat area, I did it several times in my university carpark when I was a student! So even if you leave the lights on you don't get stuck. Even if the starter motor is dead you can drive the car - I've even driven one of our cars with no starter motor installed at all (took it out to fix, couldn't fix it, pushstarted the car and drove to the wrecker, picked up another one, pushstarted it again and drove home to install it - couldn't do that with an automatic!). And as they age they have far less to go wrong with the transmission. They're simply more practical whenever anything goes wrong.

1711396296351.png

Regarding the US obsession with automatics, when we were in California we visited Sequoia national park. The road up the mountain is very steep and long. On the way up we met some young girls who had been coming down, parked on the side of the road with their brakes smoking. They had clearly been riding the brakes all the way down the hill. I asked if they knew how to engine brake, they didn't have a clue what I was talking about. I asked if they'd ever driven a manual, and none of them had. None of them knew what gears were. I had to teach them how gearboxes worked and teach them to change down and engine brake, in the hope they'd get to the bottom without killing themselves (they were lucky they hadn't done so already). They'd grown up in LA and always driven on the flat.

It should be mandatory to learn to drive in a manual, just so you know how vehicles work, even if you end up using automatics.

Both are good when they're new and the battery is fully charged. And as @Maddog says, automatics are good for stop-go traffic. They're also good when driving in the snow, less likely to spin the wheels.

But when the battery is flat, manuals can be towstarted or even push started - you can even push start a small manual car by yourself if you have a good flat area, I did it several times in my university carpark when I was a student! So even if you leave the lights on you don't get stuck. Even if the starter motor is dead you can drive the car - I've even driven one of our cars with no starter motor installed at all (took it out to fix, couldn't fix it, pushstarted the car and drove to the wrecker, picked up another one, pushstarted it again and drove home to install it - couldn't do that with an automatic!). And as they age they have far less to go wrong with the transmission. They're simply more practical whenever anything goes wrong.
My older brother had an old manual car when we were in high school (and he taught me to drive a stick). We lived on a little hill, and jump started that car several times coasting down the hill. You just had to make sure you got it going before you ran out of hill.

It's amazing how little some young women (and men) know about automobiles.

A seven speed seems pretty fancy. I've only driven 3 on the tree and ,4 or 5 on the floor (plus ten wheeled trucks and farm tractors with high and low shifters as well).
Column change manual is so much more efficient than floor, my father used to have a 4-speed column change ute and it is my favourite transmission - you don't have to move your hand far from the steering wheel. Shame nobody seems to make them any more.
Who teaches kids to drive a manual transmission?

Normally it is someone called Dad.

Criminals that carjack generally don't have good Dads.
Very insightful point.

Who teaches kids to drive a manual transmission?

Normally it is someone called Dad.

Criminals that carjack generally don't have good Dads.
I taught my 3 boy and 2 nieces to drive my little Plymouth Horizon. I told them to go for it in a big empty parking lot. There's nothing they can do to it that I can't fix. I set up a slalom course with my empty coffee cups. Fun times!

Back