• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Clement of Alexandria acknowledges Poly

Odes itself does not claim authorship. Wiki claims it came to be thought of as the Odes of Solomon because it was often packaged with the Psalms of Solomon. They read to me as having a distinctly Christian character. One argument is they are baptismal songs; I'd say 21 reads like one and that you're right, its picturing not Christ but the baptized convert.

So if Verse 4 members is a veiled reference to wives, then that would reflect on its presence in early Christian life and an idea that the Lord blessed his children with healthy wives. Current scholarly consensus, for what that's worth, is that they were written in Aramaic in the 1st to 3rd centuries in Syria. I mention that to say this means they were Assyrian people's, not Greek, who wrote and sang these. They were some of the earliest converts to Christianity and had a distinctly different, and historically long, culture from the Greeks.

However it may be more likely that verse 4 is referring to fruit bearing; that the baptized Christian has in turn brought others to faith. And that these new members of the body, having no affliction, is evidence either that they are pure (true Christians) or that the evangelist pictured works miracles of healing. This seems more in keeping with the context.

Or maybe this is a translation issue?

ODE 21.
A remarkable explanation of the "coats of skin" in the third chapter of Genesis.

1 My arms I lifted up to the Most High, even to the p. 131 grace of the Lord: because He had cast off my bonds from me: and my Helper had lifted me up to His grace and to His salvation:
2 And I put off darkness and clothed myself with light,
3 And my soul acquired a body free from sorrow or affliction or pains.
4 And increasingly helpful to me was the thought of the Lord, and His fellowship in incorruption:
5 And I was lifted up in His light; and I served before Him,
6 And I became near to Him, praising and confessing Him;
7 My heart ran over and was found in my mouth: and it arose upon my lips; and the exultation of the Lord increased on my face, and His praise likewise. Hallelujah.

This version reflects a belief either in healing coming with conversion or an allusion to our future resurrected body. And that is a lot more fitting to the context.

From the Epistula Apostolorum. The story of the 10 virgins and the bridegroom. Approx. 140-150 AD

Then answered he us, saying: Only do ye that which I say unto you, even as I myself also have done it. 43 And ye shall be like the wise virgins which watched and slept not, but went forth unto the lord into the bridechamber: but the foolish virgins were not able to watch, but slumbered. And we said unto him: Lord, who are the wise and who are the foolish? He said unto us: Five wise and five foolish; for these are they of whom the prophet hath spoken: Sons of God are they. Hear now their names.

But we wept and were troubled for them that slumbered. He said unto us: The five wise are Faith and Love and Grace and Peace and Hope. Now they of the faithful which possess this (these) shall be guides unto them that have believed on me and on him that sent me. For I am the Lord and I am the bridegroom whom they have received, and they have entered in to the house of the bridegroom and are laid down with me in the bridal chamber rejoicing. But the five foolish, when they had slept and had awaked, came unto the door of the bridal chamber and knocked, for the doors were shut. Then did they weep and lament that no man opened unto them.

We said unto him: Lord, and their wise sisters that were within in the bridegroom's house, did they continue without opening unto them, and did they not sorrow for their sakes nor entreat the bridegroom to open unto them? He answered us, saying: They were not yet able to obtain favour for them. We said unto him: Lord, on what day shall they enter in for their sisters' sake? Then said he unto us: He that is shut out, is shut out. And we said unto him: Lord, is this word (determined?). Who then are the foolish? He said unto us: Hear their names. They are Knowledge, Understanding (Perception), Obedience, Patience, and Compassion. These are they that slumbered in them that have believed and confessed me but have not fulfilled my commandments. 44 On account of them that have slumbered, they shall remain outside the kingdom and the fold of the shepherd and his sheep. But whoso shall abide outside the sheepfold, him will the wolves devour, and he shall be (condemned?) and die in much affliction: in him shall be no rest nor endurance, and (Eth.) although he be hardly punished, and rent in pieces and devoured in long and evil torment, yet shall he not be able to obtain death quickly.

45 And we said unto him: Lord, well hast thou revealed all this unto us. Then answered he us, saying: Understand ye not (or, Ye understand not) these words? We said unto him: Yea, Lord. By five shall men enter into thy kingdom <and by five shall men remain without>: notwithstanding, they that watched were with thee the Lord and bridegroom, even though they rejoiced not because of them that slumbered (yet will they have no pleasure, because of, Eth.). He said unto us: They will indeed rejoice that they have entered in with the bridegroom, the Lord; and they are sorrowful because of them that slumbered, for they are their sisters. For all ten are daughters of God, even the Father. Then said we unto him: Lord, is it then for thee to show them favour on account of their sisters? (It becometh thy majesty to show them favour, Eth.) He said unto us: <It is not mine,> but his that sent me, and I am consenting with him (It is not yours, &c., Eth.).

Seems pretty apparent that the idea of multiple women being wedded was considered a cultural norm, much less simultaneously wedded apparently.

It also seemed logical and reasonable that the 5 married wives would entreat for their unwed foolish sisters to be brought into the marriage, and that even though they hadnt been married that day that there would no doubt be another day that they would be brought into the marriage.

there would no doubt be another day that they would be brought into the marriage.
That part I am not quite seeing. The entreaties, yes. But not the assurance.

The mindset of the two groups ( going by the names given them) is very interesting.

That part I am not quite seeing. The entreaties, yes. But not the assurance.

“We said unto him, Lord, on what day shall they enter for their sisters sake”. It seems that they thought that it was totally within the Lord’s rights to refuse entrance if he so decided, but they thought it was just for a time and that after some time had passed that the others would be brought in also. It’s not until the response to this question that they start to understand that may not be the case. “He that is shut out, is shut out”. They reply, “Lord is this word determined?”

My point is simply that the cultural norm or bias was that the Lord could do as he chose to the point of refusing 5 of the ladies for whatever reason, but that they assumed that it was natural or normal that he would still bring them into the marriage, just at a later date after he wasn’t quite vexed at them.

I’m not saying that it was assured that they would be allowed into the marriage, just that the audience assumed that this would be the case, thus exposing a cultural bias or norm.

That story's matter-of-fact presentation of multiple brides suggests that the writer didn't assume an audience schooled in monogamous thinking. Beyond that, however, the thing sounds to me like fan fiction, so I would read no cultural norms into its presentation of relationship dynamics or wedding customs.

I think the writer used the parable of the wise and foolish virgins (which I might tersely summarize as "don't screw up or God will dump you") as a jumping-off point for an entirely new story of his own. The idea of assurance that the five outside would be eventually let in seems an embellishment by the writer so that he could turn the story into a rallying cry for the situation at hand ("us converts in this new and struggling radical sect gotta get everyone on board if we wanna get political control and win this thing!").

Last edited:
I’m not saying that it was assured that they would be allowed into the marriage, just that the audience assumed that this would be the case, thus exposing a cultural bias or norm.

Very good point!

Think for a moment how foreign that parable is to our culturally monogamous minds. 10 women marrying 1 man on 1 day!?! How could such a thing come to be? What's going on? Why?

Today's hearers would find the parable used more notable than the message it meant to communicate.

But the nature of parables is that Christ uses the familiar to explain heavenly truths. This would not have been an odd thing to the original hearers; as this extended interaction documents. One can make this point from the Gospel's directly; but this text from the Ethiopian cannon makes it all the more clear given their concern for the other wives.

This brings up a related matter. This parable speaks to Christ and his listeners viewpoint on polygamy. But what of those who preserved the Epistula Apostolorum? Africa remains yet today a stronghold of polygamous practice, did the church in Ethiopia practice it?

Middle Ages

Union with the Coptic Orthodox Church continued after the Arab conquest of Egypt. Abu Saleh records in the 12th century that the patriarch always sent letters twice a year to the kings of Abyssinia (Ethiopia) and Nubia, until Al Hakim stopped the practice. Cyril, 67th patriarch, sent Severus as bishop, with orders to put down polygamy [emph added] and to enforce observance of canonical consecration for all churches.

We know the Hebrews practiced polygamy. Clement (among others) documents the Greeks acknowledgment of it's sinlessness as well (albeit reticently). Ode's was used by the Assyrians (though that translation is questionable). And here we have the African church practicing polygamy. I bet if we were thorough we could find good documentation of early Christian support for polygamy in every culture it came to.

Interesting historical review of Christian views on polygamy from an African perspective. Another document as to the life or death consequences (literally and spiritually) of this issue in the mission field in the African context.

I found a mention of monogamy only. Approximately 140-170 AD

The Octavius of Minucius Felix

CHAP. XXXI.--ARGUMENT: THE CHARGE OF OUR ENTERTAINMENTS BEING POLLUTED WITH INCEST, IS ENTIRELY OPPOSED TO ALL PROBABILITY, WHILE IT IS PLAIN THAT GENTILES ARE ACTUALLY GUILTY OF INCEST. THE BANQUETS OF CHRISTIANS ARE NOT ONLY MODEST, BUT TEMPERATE. IN FACT, INCESTUOUS LUST IS SO UNHEARD OF, THAT WITH MANY EVEN THE MODEST ASSOCIATION OF THE SEXES GIVES RISE TO A BLUSH.

"And of the incestuous banqueting, the plotting of demons has falsely devised an enormous fable against us, to stain the glory of our modesty, by the loathing excited by an outrageous infamy, that before inquiring into the truth it might turn men away from us by the terror of an abominable charge. It was thus your own Fronto acted in this respect: he did not produce testimony, as one who alleged a charge, but he scattered reproaches as a rhetorician. For these things have rather originated from your own nations. Among the Persians, a promiscuous association between sons and mothers is allowed. Marriages with sisters are legitimate among the Egyptians and in Athens. Your records and your tragedies, which you both read and hear with pleasure, glory in incests: thus also you worship incestuous gods, who have intercourse with mothers, with daughters, with sisters. With reason, therefore, is incest frequently detected among you, and is continually permitted. Miserable men, you may even, without knowing it, rush into what is unlawful: since you scatter your lusts promiscuously, since you everywhere beget children, since you frequently expose even those who are born at home to the mercy of others, it is inevitable that you must come back to your own children, and stray to your own offspring. Thus you continue the story of incest, even although you have no consciousness of your crime. But we maintain our modesty not in appearance, but in our heart we gladly abide by the bond of a single marriage; in the desire of procreating, we know either one wife, or none at all. We practise sharing in banquets, which are not only modest, but also sober: for we do not indulge in entertainments nor prolong our feasts with wine; but we temper our joyousness with gravity, with chaste discourse, and with body even more chaste (divers of us unviolated) enjoy rather than make a boast of a perpetual virginity of a body. So far, in fact, are they from indulging in incestuous desire, that with some even the (idea of modest intercourse of the sexes causes a blush

I’m not sure why he presents Christians this way, unless this was something taught locally and he was unaware of other believers from other areas who believed differently. Just wanted to be thorough though. Any thoughts or comments ?

Seems to me that in an overreaction to the other people who are in gross sin, they have dialed it back to perpetual virginity, or at the very worst, *shudder* the taking of one,and ONLY one, wife.
Arbitrary and artificial, but it makes them feel righteous.

Reminds me of one of my favorites:
Why did the Christian cross the road?
To get in the other ditch.

Last edited:
Seems to me that in an overreaction to the other people who are in gross sin, they have dialed it back to perpetual virginity, or at the very worst, *shudder* the taking of one,and ONLY one, wife.
Arbitrary and artificial, but it makes them feel righteous.

Isaiah 64:6
We have all become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous deeds are like a polluted garment. We all fade like a leaf, and our iniquities, like the wind, take us away.

But we maintain our modesty not in appearance, but in our heart we gladly abide by the bond of a single marriage; in the desire of procreating, we know either one wife, or none at all. We practise sharing in banquets, which are not only modest, but also sober: for we do not indulge in entertainments nor prolong our feasts with wine; but we temper our joyousness with gravity, with chaste discourse, and with body even more chaste

There is a lot here left unsaid in between the lines but I lack to context necessary. Almost sounds like he's defending their jarringly immodest appearance by emphasizing their modest behavior. Not sure about that though.

But I am reminded that early Christians were baptized naked in front of the congregation.

Banquets here is an allusion to the love feasts I think; the full meal version of what later became the Lord's snack. Think church potluck.

This could also be evidence of confusion by outsiders about different Christian sects. I suspect that the Nicolations were one of those movements which Satan sows from time to time that think nothing done in the flesh is sinful or that salvation can be had by sinning. I think they were prone to taking many wives (many whom would be prohibited by scripture even if monogamous). I would not be surprised if some of that camp turned the love feasts into orgies. It would be a very Greek thing to do.

early Christians were baptized naked in front of the congregation.
That's new to me, and is a very interesting can of worms. Lots of sources saying it's correct, lots of defenders of modern norms dismissing each writer that mentions it as a heretic and claiming that "true" Christians never did this. But the near-unanimous testimony of ancient Christian artwork is rather difficult to ignore. Hmmm...

I would not be surprised if some of that camp turned the love feasts into orgies.
I know for sure that the Gnostics believed that women were to be held in common, not to be reserved to one man and they specifically named Christ and were involved in ritualistic orgies. Not that they were believers of course, rather that to an outsider they would have tarnished the name of Christ

That's new to me, and is a very interesting can of worms. Lots of sources saying it's correct, lots of defenders of modern norms dismissing each writer that mentions it as a heretic and claiming that "true" Christians never did this. But the near-unanimous testimony of ancient Christian artwork is rather difficult to ignore. Hmmm...
Theres is actualy several 4th century documents from members of the Church that speak of the reason why they were baptizing folks naked. For modesty reasons women were baptized at night, and diffrent groups did allow a cincture. The practice of nude baptism seems to end before 65 AD because there's no mention of it in the Didache which goes into detail about baptisms.

Lots of sources saying it's [naked baptism] correct, lots of defenders of modern norms dismissing each writer that mentions it as a heretic and claiming that "true" Christians never did this.

I'm not surprised. This is what happens when people judge ancients by modern norms. It is more a reflection of uncomfortableness with their own nudity than any moral reasoning.

Think back to the Roman culture. It was a hot climate. Public sports and exercise were all nude. Toilets and baths were communal. Regular outdoor wear was essentially just a body wrap.

That said, what were the Christians up to that THAT culture found it immodest?

So I was reading the Acts of Peter and came across this

XXX. Now on the Lord's day as Peter discoursed unto the brethren and exhorted them unto the faith of Christ, there being present many of the senate and many knights and rich women and matrons, and being confirmed in the faith, one woman that was there, exceeding rich, which was surnamed Chryse because every vessel of hers was of gold -for from her birth she never used a vessel of silver or glass, but golden ones only- said unto Peter: Peter, thou servant of God, he whom thou callest God appeared unto me in a dream and said: Chryse, carry thou unto Peter my minister ten thousand pieces of gold; for thou owest them to him. I have therefore brought them, fearing lest some harm should be done me by him that appeared unto me, which also departed unto heaven. And so saying, she laid down the money and departed. And Peter seeing it glorified the Lord, for that they that were in need should be refreshed. Certain, therefore, of them that were there said unto him: Peter, hast thou not done ill to receive the money of her? for she is ill spoken of throughout all Rome for fornication, and because she keepeth not to one husband, yea, she even hath to do with the young men of her house. Be not therefore a partner with the table of Chryse, but let that which came from her be returned unto her. But Peter hearing it laughed and said to the brethren: What this woman is in the rest of her way of life, I know not, but in that I have received this money, I did it not foolishly; for she did pay it as a debtor unto Christ, and giveth it unto the servants of Christ: for he himself hath provided for them.

XXXIII. Now Peter was in Rome rejoicing in the Lord with the brethren, and giving thanks night and day for the multitude which was brought daily unto the holy name by the grace of the Lord. And there were gathered also unto Peter the concubines of Agrippa the prefect, being four, Agrippina and Nicaria and Euphemia and Doris; and they, hearing the word concerning chastity and all the oracles of the Lord, were smitten in their souls, and agreeing together to remain pure from the bed of Agrippa they were vexed by him.

Now as Agrippa was perplexed and grieved concerning them -and he loved them greatly- he observed and sent men privily to see whither they went, and found that they went unto Peter. He said therefore unto them when they returned: That Christian hath taught you to have no dealings with me: know ye that I will both destroy you, and burn him alive. They, then, endured to suffer all manner of evil at Agrippa's hand, if only they might not suffer the passion of love, being strengthened by the might of Jesus.

XXXIV. And a certain woman which was exceeding beautiful, the wife of Albinus, Caesar's friend, by name Xanthippe, came, she also, unto Peter, with the rest of the matrons, and withdrew herself, she also, from Albinus. He therefore being mad, and loving Xanthippe, and marvelling that she would not sleep even upon the same bed with him, raged like a wild beast and would have dispatched Peter; for he knew that he was the cause of her separating from his bed. Many other women also, loving the word of chastity, separated themselves from their husbands, because they desired them to worship God in sobriety and cleanness. And whereas there was great trouble in Rome, Albinus made known his state unto Agrippa, saying to him: Either do thou avenge me of Peter that hath withdrawn my wife, or I will avenge myself. And Agrippa said: I have suffered the same at his hand, for he hath withdrawn my concubines. And Albinus said unto him: Why then tarriest thou, Agrippa? let us find him and put him to death for a dealer in curious arts, that we may have our wives again, and avenge them also which are not able to put him to death, whose wives also he hath parted from them.

Here’s some useful info on the doc from the earlychristianwriting.com site

The Acts of Peter
From "The Apocryphal New Testament"
M.R. James-Translation and Notes
Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1924

Written, probably by a resident in Asia Minor (he does not know much about Rome), not later than A. D. 200, in Greek. The author has read the Acts of John very carefully, and modelled his language upon them. However, he was not so unorthodox as Leucius, though his language about the Person of our Lord (ch. xx) has rather suspicious resemblances to that of the Acts of John.

The length of the book as given by the Stichometry of Nicephorus was 2,750 lines-fifty lines less than the canonical Acts. The portions we have may be about the length of St. Mark's Gospel; and about 1,000 lines may be wanting. Such is Zaha's estimate.

We have:

1. A short episode in Coptic.

2. A large portion in Latin preserved in a single manuscript of the seventh century at Vercelli: often called the Vercelli Acts. It includes the martyrdom.

3. The martyrdom, preserved separately, in two good Greek copies, in Latin, and in many versions-Coptic, Slavonic, Syriac, Armenian, Arabic, Ethiopic. (The passage mentioned above comes from this portion)

Also:

One or two important quotations from lost portions; a small fragment of the original in a papyrus; certain passages-speeches of Peter- transferred by an unscrupulous writer to the Life of St. Abercius of Hierapolis.

A Latin paraphrase of the martyrdom, attributed to Linus, Peter's successor in the bishopric of Rome, was made from the Greek, and is occasionally useful.

So, my thoughts on this particular doc
  1. The doc is written about 200 AD. About 140 years after the fact.
  2. The stories told throughout the whole of this doc seem a bit over the top, and at times grossly out of character for both the apostolic ministry and miracles as well as other examples of the power of Christ being publicly displayed. Throughout the document, it seems like a huge public drama and spectacle and quite out of sync with what we see in Scripture.
  3. The author seems to be somewhat familiar with the events and apparently with the primary players involved, especially the habits of Simon as well as the statue that was erected in his honor in Rome and the cause of his death, but overall, it seems to be either a record of events that have been embellished multiple times before being recorded, or an embellishment created by the author in an over the top attempt to prove that the Christian God is the one true God and that Peter is His apostle.
  4. This part of the doc dealing with these women who have left their husbands beds and have resorted to chastity and that this is the reason that Peter is crucified I find incredulous, and very much in line with certain sects beliefs about marriage in this time period, such as Montanism for example.
  5. If I’m not conflating docs, it seems that a document by this name was accepted in some of the churches according to the Muratorian cannon. IF this particular doc was the one that was accepted, I have a lot of difficulty believing that it has not been tampered with for purposes of drama, embellishment, or perhaps simply historical revisionism by the RCC.

Thoughts?

Is this document the only source we have as a historical record of the martyrdom of Peter? Or is that recorded elsewhere also? My point is that it is generally believed that Peter was martyred. If this is the only source, then this document was held in some respect by the church and may be worth paying some attention to. If it is not the only source, then there's no particular reason to believe it is accurate.

Also the withdrawal of women is a pursuit of chastity, and has nothing to do with polygamy. Both monogamous and polygamous wives are said to have turned from their husbands. This is not an anti-polygamy writing any more than it's anti-monogamy. It's just anti-marriage. And it disagrees strongly with scripture on this topic, particularly Paul's teaching that a husband and wife should not separate except for a short period for fasting and prayer.

Either
  • It's completely inaccurate and was made up by a person with a particular obsession with sex, or
  • It's accurate, and shows that Peter himself went off the rails quite severely (that's far less likely of course).

Either
  • It's completely inaccurate and was made up by a person with a particular obsession with sex, or
  • It's accurate, and shows that Peter himself went off the rails quite severely (that's far less likely of course).
Why do you feel that it can only be one or the other?
Why is it not possible that it is true events exaggerated?

Wiki claims the Acts of Peter was the earliest recorded instance of the tradition that Peter was crucified upside down.

It is interesting this document speaks about concubines; because the NT is completely silent about them (a very notable silence). They are essentially as close as the Greco-Romans got to polygamy; and they were viewed respectably in Rome. This document is clearly against the practice. But it also has Peter teaching wives to be chaste from husbands which is also out of step from scripture; which teaches the very opposite.

So this work is a reflection of the anti-sex views coming into the early church.

Throughout the document, it seems like a huge public drama and spectacle and quite out of sync with what we see in Scripture.

Paul got himself into no shortage of public drama and spectacle. Also remember in Acts that the Gospel was brought to new places with 'signs and wonders'. I would also not be surprised to hear that Peter was more bold with his miracles or had a little more flair about it. Even Christ himself created a few public spectacles.

My biggest problem with the quoted text is it's anti-sex position. What better way to solidify that in church doctrine than by producing a document showing Peter being martyr'd for that very teaching. It is opposite of what scripture teaches; one of the hangups the Greek brought with them.

Back