• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Support Breaking news to family

I'll take back the word "agenda". But my point stands (remembering it is a takeaway point for others, not a criticism of you).

It is easy to find a good way to have this conversation, have a great one for 3/4 of the time, then blow it at the end by trying to press your advantage too far - getting too greedy. Be careful not to do that.
I'm not disagreeing with your point. And I wouldn't be offended if you did. I'm fairly new here and I know this is like texting where you can't tell someone's emotions through written words. I think many on here could try and read each message with an understanding heart instead of attacking. I think you could help this forum too by not trying to make your point through a response to someone's position. You could of simply pointed out your suggestion without replying to mine. The response and the follow up could appear as a fatherly correction. Simply saying

"A good way to have this conversation is not to press your advantage too far."

Would of been constructive and helpful. From my limited time on here I can definitely see the jabs back and forth between folks. It's unnecessary, destructive and doesn't build His kingdom. It's a humble opinion but I felt it was time to bring it to your attention as the administrator of this forum.

Last edited:
I think you could help this forum too by not trying to make your point through a response to someone's position.
I understand your point, but the problem is that I only would have actually made the point I made because I was responding to you - had you not posted, I wouldn't have thought to say what I did! That's how conversations go.

The fundamental problem is the inefficiency of text-based communication. If we were standing chatting in a room, and something one of us said sounded offensive, or was poorly stated and so misunderstood, or anything else, that would become apparent in a few seconds of conversation, be immediately corrected, and the conversation would be back on track. Greatly assisted by the fact that everyone would see each other's body language, so would know very well if someone was actually intending to be offensive or not. While here someone says something poorly, hours later someone else reads it and reacts, hours or even days later the first person finds their response and writes a response, which still needs further back-and-forth to clarify, and it can take days for everyone to get back on track - or often they never do and start considering each other adversaries. While if they'd been chatting in person the whole misunderstanding would have been ironed out in less than a minute.

This is why the in-person retreats really are the heart of this ministry and are crucially important. They not only help people have better conversations then, but also later online. Because when you're discussing things online with someone you've already met in person, you're far more inclined to overlook little things that you could have perceived negatively as you can picture the person saying it to you, and essentially imagine the body language that was otherwise missing from the exchange.

It is easy to find a good way to have this conversation, have a great one for 3/4 of the time, then blow it at the end by trying to press your advantage too far - getting too greedy. Be careful not to do that.

I agree.

Unless you're at a BF retreat or in fellowship with people who are already supportive of poly then it's best to take it slow. Sometimes it can be best to let the other person come to you with the Big Question.

Like ten years ago my friend from work Amanda noticed Christie driving me to work, then she saw Steve with Christie and then saw Steve with me. She asks me one day if we were poly and I said yes. This was after she knew me, she knew I didn't have horns on my head, she could see my husband wasn't some whackadoodle nutbar, and we were doing pretty good.

Then she visited the ranch and got to know us. Then she came to church and was immediately courted and soon enough found a family.

But had I started out with, "Hi, we're polygamous. Want to join a family?" she would have avoided me like I was a rabid wolverine!

How did everyone tell their family members about poly? Especially those who aren’t a first wife, how did you share this news with your family and any children you had previous to joining a family? I’m not at this step yet but trying to be ahead of the game about it. Should I have him meet my whole family and child first or tell them beforehand?

This thread has included many thoughtful viewpoints from many different perspectives, and I won't review them all but predominantly just add my own.

[TLDR warning]

Given my what is around here a long absence, please indulge me as I repeat (for many) that I'm a trained psychotherapist, with my first concentration having been working with victims of childhood sexual abuse. Indulge me further as I acknowledge that just the mention of that topic has a tendency to unconsciously engage a number of very common presuppositions. The problem, however, is that the presuppositions about childhood sexual abuse held by the average person are actually incorrect, and the difference between incorrect and correct presuppositions not only explains the dividing line between lay and professional people but more importantly the same distinction between counselors who follow the incorrect presuppositions and those counselors who set aside all biases they bring into their relationships with clients. Unfortunately, even most trained, credentialed and experienced counselors drag incorrect assumptions about victimhood into their work with abused children, and this tends to determine the difference between whether abuse events are (a) processed and transcended to the point of being able to leave them in the rearview mirror, or (b) dragged along in life like a self-fulfilling anchor of permanent-victimhood trauma.

The bottom line is that, outside of violent, physically-damaging events, the long-term prognosis for victims of childhood sexual abuse is almost universally determined by the manner in which the significant adults in those children's lives react to learning about the abuse. In most cases, any sustained trauma is determined far more by negative adult reactions than it is by the inappropriate sexual contact. Another way to put it is to assert that the meaning that adults coercively attach to what has already occurred has far greater potential to traumatize than do the inappropriate sex acts. And I'm not minimizing the potential for sexual abuse to throw kids for a loop -- just asserting that overreactions on the part of important adults is more traumatizing.

The point here is that the manner in which we approach any significant life change will be the greatest predictor of how that event will transpire and be experienced internally by everyone in question. Just as a Screaming-Meemie Mommy will freak out a kid who just wonders why Daddy licked her va-jay-jay -- so too will the manner in which one discloses one's position or intentions about polygyny. In fact, it has a tendency to be a self-fulfilling prophecy determined by how one approaches it, with, of course, variation based on the individual audiences. Know your audience, and speak into the manner in which your audience is listening . . . but also know yourself, and time your disclosures for moments and situations during which you can come from a place of confidence as if you have the coolest info in the world to share instead of from a place of self-doubt as if you're almost begging your audience to condemn you. Generally speaking, the outcome will reflect the manner in which you frame things.

Now, the only other thing to add is how I handle all this.

First, there is the distinction between witnessing and evangelism. Where anything related to religious beliefs is concerned, I'm typically a big fan of witnessing, which is just sharing oneself and one's beliefs, whereas evangelism diminishes the personal sharing and brings in an agenda of changing minds or saving souls. I see salvation as a personal issue, which means that another person's salvation is neither my responsibility or an excuse for me to treat it like an emergency that justifies badgering someone about what they supposedly should believe.

With two major exceptions in my life in regard to polygyny (mentioned later), my approach has always been the same. In fact, it's pretty much my orientation to everything of any spiritual, metaphysical, political or philosophical importance to me: I'm just transparent as hell. In 1959, I started telling anyone during any circumstance during which it seemed to bear some kind of relationship to whatever topic was at hand that I believed in men being free to marry more than one woman. I'd just finished my first full read-through of the Bible, and observing the preponderance of great men who had more than one wife did not escape me, so I brought it up in Sunday School and was sent to the principal's office, er, I mean, the pastor, for doing so (prinicipals' offices followed in due course). His response was inadequate, so I just kept asking one pastor after another. By the time I was in 3rd grade, I was pretty sure that's what I wanted to do when I grew up. (However, exception-to-transparency #1 happened in the disastrous wake of the first romantic relationship in which I briefly experienced having two best-friend girlfriends during 9th grade; the 2nd exception was a lengthy period after making the mistake in 1993 of caving in to my current wife's demand that we remove another woman from our relationship and thence forward keep the whole thing a secret; that didn't end well . . . or maybe it did.)

In almost every facet of my life, I believe in letting people know exactly what I believe. I don't bring up polygyny or any other 'sensitive' topic (sex, drugs, religion, politics) out of the blue in my life, but I certainly do inject those topics pretty much any time they might be relevant, and I'm always prepared to discuss them to whatever degree the folks around me are interested in doing so. In almost all circumstances, I'm entirely comfortable and casual about doing so, and the net result is that the worst that ever happens is that people temporarily distance themselves from me or just go on to pretend that it's not even real! Much more often it initiates long-term honest communication. What I carry with me is confidence that I know what I'm talking about, awareness that there are always more people seeking my attention than I have time to give, and dedication to being able to live without the approval of others. I take Paul's numerous admonitions along those lines very seriously and believe I would be demonstrating insufficient faith in the Word of our LORD if I elevated approval-seeking over properly representing scriptural truths -- and that extends not only into refraining from worrying about whether my friends or extended family reject me but all the way to being unwilling to compromise myself in an effort to receive approval from my own wife.

Let me remind you, though: I am not evangelizing. I'm not suggesting that you should do as I do; I'm just telling you how I approach discussing polygyny -- I'm witnessing. Pretty much every person in my life with whom I have more than just a superficial acquaintance knows that I believe in plural marriage and I'm open to demonstrating the tremendous generosity it entails to take on the responsibility of a second wife (challenge that if you dare, but it takes far more generosity for a man to take on two women than it does for a woman to 'allow' him to do so).

But I am me and you are you and we are not all together. One has to do what one can be comfortable with. I'm pretty much an open book and will answer almost anything anyone asks me. I would be remiss, however, if I didn't acknowledge that I've been the Black Sheep of my birth family ever since I was 2 years old and was probably already pretty much at peace about that by the 1959 Sunday School turmoil. Different people have different tolerance levels for that sort of thing. Just be honest with yourself about your own.

I told you this was too long to read.

Let me remind you, though: I am not evangelizing. I'm not suggesting that you should do as I do; I'm just telling you how I approach discussing polygyny -- I'm witnessing.

We are all witnessing. Thank you for that reminder! And thank you for a thoughtful essay that hits home for me.

Told my daughter and son about polygamy a while back. It went extremely well. No pushback at all. Again it was approached as let’s sit down and do a Bible study. I haven’t actually told my other daughter everything but I’m sure she’s heard everything from her siblings. The people I care most about, my children, have been very supportive.

Told my daughter and son about polygamy a while back. It went extremely well. No pushback at all. Again it was approached as let’s sit down and do a Bible study. I haven’t actually told my other daughter everything but I’m sure she’s heard everything from her siblings. The people I care most about, my children, have been very supportive.
Awesome! May God bless you with unity and harmony in your whole family, and new wives as He wills.

I won't try to tell you how to as your family is your family and you know to communicate with them.

What I will tell you is how crucial it is for that communication to happen. I won't go into depth as it involves another pweson who would not appreciate laundry being aired, but I can tell you from personal experience that family/friends pushing back on a woman joining a plural marriage can undermine the happiness and success of the family.

Good luck to you and in more upbeat terms...congratulations for finding your new future family. That is huge and will be worth the current difficulty

I won't go into depth as it involves another (person) who would not appreciate laundry being aired, but I can tell you from personal experience that family/friends pushing back on a woman joining a plural marriage can undermine the happiness and success of the family.

I had the same experience with family and friends pushing back at me about this. I ended up losing my friends but I will give my mother credit for begrudgingly accepting it after my twins were born.

When I joined my family I chafed a bit at the pressure to get pregnant but looking back at it all I see the wisdom. Once a plural has a baby on the way she is committed. Her family and friends see this and they almost always stop with the pressure. They may cut her off but is that bad if what they wanted was for her to leave her new family?

My sw was decided and that was reflected to some degree in their decision to welcome babies.
My hubby is NOT who her family would have picked for her.....but she wasn't looking at investment portfolios, but rather his character and the compatibility she has with our lifestyle and morals. I think she made a good choice! I also think she's brave, because we see so little success in marriages....for her to make this leap is humbling for sure!
Her family can see that she is happy, and for now she is being supported by her mom and sisters with her dad and grandma.....well, at least they seem resigned and there isn't any open pressure. They probably expect the relationship to fail eventually, maybe because neither of them stayed married? That smiley little baby girl is working on her grandpa now....and she is pretty adorable! Time is on our side. :) she's only gonna get cuter!! Lol

The bottom line is that, outside of violent, physically-damaging events, the long-term prognosis for victims of childhood sexual abuse is almost universally determined by the manner in which the significant adults in those children's lives react to learning about the abuse. In most cases, any sustained trauma is determined far more by negative adult reactions than it is by the inappropriate sexual contact. Another way to put it is to assert that the meaning that adults coercively attach to what has already occurred has far greater potential to traumatize than do the inappropriate sex acts. And I'm not minimizing the potential for sexual abuse to throw kids for a loop -- just asserting that overreactions on the part of important adults is more traumatizing.
This seems like deep and important wisdom that should be more thoroughly disseminated. I’ve seen some thing similar on an anecdotal level.

Also child molesters should be castrated. But further traumatizing the victim by pretending to help is just another, admittedly lesser, form of abuse.

My sw was decided and that was reflected to some degree in their decision to welcome babies.
My hubby is NOT who her family would have picked for her.....but she wasn't looking at investment portfolios, but rather his character and the compatibility she has with our lifestyle and morals. I think she made a good choice! I also think she's brave, because we see so little success in marriages....for her to make this leap is humbling for sure!
Her family can see that she is happy, and for now she is being supported by her mom and sisters with her dad and grandma.....well, at least they seem resigned and there isn't any open pressure. They probably expect the relationship to fail eventually, maybe because neither of them stayed married? That smiley little baby girl is working on her grandpa now....and she is pretty adorable! Time is on our side. :) she's only gonna get cuter!! Lol

I can't even begin to say how happy I am for you and your family! I pray you have many, many more years of joy ahead! :)

Back