• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Support Wife doesn't want a sisterwife

The women’s group will never belittle her, nor brain wash her. They will listen and help to the best of their ability, and yes, try to share biblical truth. She can participate as much or little as she wants. It’s been a big help to my first wife over the past year.

I think this is a understatement. It AMAZES me that these people studied the bible and can call having more than one wife a sin. Is it ignorance or deliberate? I could actually see it being deliberate so as to go along with the societal narrative, to appease their wives and to appease the population just to get people through the door and to avoid answering to multiple women and other citizens why polygyny is acceptable when society says it is not.
Some have referred to it as [just one manifestation of] a 'Jezebel spirit' - and I won't disagree in general, although there are other explanations: Greed, the 501c(3) bribe, willful ignorance, and the fact that He even promised them 'great delusion' are also a big part of the mix. I call it the Whore Church for a reason, and they serve it willingly.

I've read a lot of good advice to this question in the previous responses.

I think many of us have been right where you are. I wanted to quit many times myself. For me it took 10 years to find a second wife, so I can't help but feel bad for you.

There's no way I can tell you that I have the right answers, but I can tell you three things, I think will help. Actually, I know the first one will help.

First, pray and make sure there is nothing between you and the Savior. Perhaps God wants you to change something. Perhaps God is waiting on you.

Two, keep preparing for a second wife in practical ways.

Three, perhaps you may choose, if you haven't already, to do what I did. I let my first wife know that I wouldn't marry a second wife without her support. Because unless you are willing to give up your first wife, a second wife won't work without your first wife's support anyway.

I don't know if this advice helps or not, but I'm sorry it is taking so long for you to find someone else. I'm also sorry that your wife isn't enthusiastic about you having another wife. It was hard for my first wife too.

I will pray for you and your family.

Really I'm not even sure why I push for the poly stuff. I guess my thought is that my wife and I should be on the same page in regards to what is and is not a sin. What is and is not acceptable. Really I am happy if it is just us.
Anyhow, we do need some prayer. Yesterday I found out some stuff was being hidden and I brought it to light. Her "friend" told her that she does not know who my wife is anymore because she is not who she was when they first met, which I pointed out is a jab and manipulative.
I feel for my wife, it hurts, we draw closer to God's word and she keeps loosing friends. I think besides me she's feeling alone and isolated. I know at times I do too but I take it much better than she does.
I know I need to pray, and I am asking for prayer and comfort for my wife. She said today she'll join the support group if I want her too but she doesn't feel ready yet and I'm not going to ask her to join the group if she doesn't feel ready.
I did point out to her I find it interesting that as we draw closer to God's word people keep getting removed from our lives. It's sad but also expected, though it doesn't make it easier.

She said today she'll join the support group if I want her too but she doesn't feel ready yet and I'm not going to ask her to join the group if she doesn't feel ready.
She can also chat or message members....once she posts a bit. Moderators may also grant her messaging privileges sooner, since she is known. Random folks just have to interact a bit....but the wife of a member may be a bit different.

For me? I have never fit in anywhere in my life. Homeschooled before it caught on, alternative medicine, no shots, animals in the city. My mom told me I may never have a lot of friends, but those I did have would be the cream of the crop. Lol

The ladies here are that kind.
She will find understanding, support, and wisdom.

@theleastofthese I would agree with that regarding most women being monogamous by nature. We have discussed it many times and most the time that seems to be the only thing she thinks about is how she would feel while I'm sleeping in the other bedroom if that is what ends up happening.
As for the "off-putting", I'm not even sure what you mean by that and I never meant to imply that I intended on leaving. I see her heart, she is a really good woman, huge heart, full of love but she was raised like the rest of us and told that anything outside of one-man one-woman is adultery. It has taken me this long to get through to her and it has been a rough road!!!! I have no intentions of leaving or letting her go. I see her value and her worth and I appreciate her value and worth and IF someone came along that liked our family dynamics (which let's be honest is a minuscule minority) I could see her blessing the second and I would hope the second would bless her and if they weren't I would either have to figure out how to get them to work together or it couldn't work, but I have no intentions of letting her go. My thought was more of her not being able to handle the whole idea of polygyny and seeking government assistance to attempt to dissolve our union, but I really don't see that happening.
In the past few days we've had some pretty good talks about it all. I don't see anyone coming along or finding anyone but she has the mindset of if anyone does come along that she will make the best of it.

Women have been lied to and brain washed in western culture for sure. They watch movies and see a man that is crazy in love with and only has eyes for one woman. Look at the marriage vows, "... Forsake all others". Makes sense for the women, not so much for the men and doesn't do either any justice.
Flip that coin around and imagine a culture where women are raised knowing that it is normal for men to seek a or many additional wives, where movies are made that portray a man having 2 or 3 wives, then women wouldn't have this mindset that they do today.
Look at what is happening in TV shows and movies now days. Most the time the man is made to look like a complete idiot, unable to manage his family, the woman having a stronger mind set, more emotionally stable, the women don't act like idiots. They are indirectly teaching women that men are stupid childish morons.

@julieb yes, when I made the first post that day I was feeling completely run over, run down, worn out, you name in, I was just spent.
However after that day and my venting the conversations have opened back up and scripture is being dug into and biblical definitions are being defined and I don't feel so worn down anymore, though with all the interruptions we have not as of yet been able to sit down and discuss everything, but in time we will. Today we discussed submissiveness, each other's expectations and what is written regarding submissiveness.
It really got to her when she found out Pete Rambo was having his wives call him Lord and Sir. I don't really expect that, I believe it is a title that is earned, but even then I don't expect that. I'm not sure why Sarah called Abraham Lord but I suspect that she had that much respect for him and as such showed it by calling him Lord, but that is my interpretation.
Again @julieb I have no idea what God has in store for us, I hope one day to figure it out. The only thing I know for sure is polygyny has been on my mind and heart for 15+ years, the only message my wife received from God was, "Work on yourself" and thus far that is about it but I believe we are making progress, slowly, but progress. In the beginning she was dead set against the polygyny life style because she believed it was a sin. Now she sees that it isn't and is at a point where she is willing to make the best of having a SW, but I think she still has some "renewing" to do, but frankly we are all constantly trying to improve ourselves when we see where work needs to be done. Such is life.

I think this is a understatement. It AMAZES me that these people studied the bible and can call having more than one wife a sin. Is it ignorance or deliberate? I could actually see it being deliberate so as to go along with the societal narrative, to appease their wives and to appease the population just to get people through the door and to avoid answering to multiple women and other citizens why polygyny is acceptable when society says it is not.
Not to mention those single women without a man are more defenseless, easier to control and manipulate just by simple telling them, "You don't need a man, you can do xyz all on your own", "You can get money from the government and child support for your children" which weakens the family unit and leaves not just the women but the children open to further manipulation.
I think part of it is they don't want to have to put up a fight. By ignoring the fact that responsible polygyny is not a sin they are avoiding a pretty serious battle that would show up at their door step.
However, with that said, if they did put up a fight and won (which how could they not) and managed to keep the doors open I think their congregation, while it would shrink at first would gradually get VERY large. Then again people don't like hearing the truth, so that could very well be it for them too. That would be in God's court I think, though it would be a major trial.

Ecclesiastes 1:18
For with much wisdom comes much sorrow; the more knowledge, the more grief.

Anyhow, just know that my wife and I are very committed and stubborn. We don't just give up, we love each other and we've stuck it out all these years and plan to stick it out the rest of our lives and while some of what I post may unintentionally portray that she's a pain in the back side, she is not, she just holds VERY strongly to what she believes is truth and has a difficult time accepting a differing truth from what she knows but she is coming around and we have a open line of communication now.
I will not however say that there will not be bumps or hurtles in the road but I do know we will make it through.

As a side note, I did buy Pete's two books, I haven't read them yet but they are sitting on my desk. My wife read a chapter, it made her quite mad that it is not considered adultery if a man sleeps around but is if a woman does. I had to break that down for her a bit, but if there are other resources you guys have in mind feel free to let me know.
As for the women's group, I have brought it up but she is not ready yet. She is afraid that if she joins the group that everyone will try to brainwash, manipulate or belittle her, so with enough time I might be able to get her to at least give it a try.
I apologize if my post came off as harsh; that wasn't my intention. I was attempting to convey that threatening to leave your wife, even in a moment of weakness, whether serious or not, will not put you any closer to your goals. By referencing "off-putting," I meant that it will not increase your wife's sense of trust or security, nor will it motivate her to improve herself, and it will come across as "off-putting" to single women open to joining a marriage.

@Joleneakamama Yea, I know, but she said today she's not ready and I'm not going to push on something I think should be her choice though if she continues to feel down I may push later.

@theleastofthese I understand. I think you misunderstood me. My statement was to say if things ended, not that I would end them. I don't want to nor have I ever but I do empathize with her and feel for her but what is written stands, I don't like living lies, I don't like lying or being lied to as many of these modern churches have and I do wish it was easier for her.

I feel for my wife, it hurts, we draw closer to God's word and she keeps loosing friends. I think besides me she's feeling alone and isolated. I know at times I do too but I take it much better than she does.
FYI, this is the one of the reasons my husband started Biblical Families. We were very much alone in plural life and needed some community, but more than internet community, so we started having in-person retreats. I strongly encourage you to make time and budget to attend a retreat in the next year. You both will benefit from meeting others of like-mind in person. It also makes connecting with a lady, or two, online more appealing. Trust me, I have seen the magic happen over and over! :)

Agreed and understood! I don't like making excuses but for us it is a bit more involved with having a child with special needs, but it doesn't mean I can get something figured out. We do have a camper (currently being occupied) but hopefully we can swap it out with a RV, which would be better for longer trips.
Where do you guys hold retreats?
I think I saw there is one in January in AZ, but that one is a bit early and a bad time of year for us to travel, generally January is when we get the worst weather and it is currently not in the budget anyhow, but that should change this next year.
I was reached out to by HomesteadWife, she said her and her husband live up in this area somewhere.

I believe you said you're in Idaho. We have other members up that way.

Agreed and understood! I don't like making excuses but for us it is a bit more involved with having a child with special needs, but it doesn't mean I can get something figured out. We do have a camper (currently being occupied) but hopefully we can swap it out with a RV, which would be better for longer trips.
Where do you guys hold retreats?
I think I saw there is one in January in AZ, but that one is a bit early and a bad time of year for us to travel, generally January is when we get the worst weather and it is currently not in the budget anyhow, but that should change this next year.
I was reached out to by HomesteadWife, she said her and her husband live up in this area somewhere.
I totally understand. I just hope eventually you will be able to make it happen for you to attend. The next few retreats will be in Feb in Florida, and a Women's Retreat in March near Charlotte, NC. We haven't yet decided on the Annual Summer Retreat location.

Yea, I think Colorado would be easier for us when finances permit than Arizona or anything on the east coast.

In more recent news we seem to be on good terms and on the same page now as for as I can tell. She's been submitting more though she doesn't feel she should but a submitting drone or treated like a wife slave, which I agree. I agree I should love and care for her and I enjoy her council and her input. I don't feel that I should rule with a iron fist but with a loving hand and at times be very firm where needed.
I've never been able to drop the poly stuff, likely never will though I don't know if anything will ever come of it but if that is what the most high has for me that is fine, but I think it is important to know the truth.

Her biggest problem recently was that some of those YT videos by Pete made it sound as if a man can go sleeping around. I had to explain to her that if a man sleeps with someone they are joined as one flesh, they are technically married and the man is supposed to take responsibility for her and not put her away. She is not to be used and tossed like a disposable doll. By doing so we are sinning against that woman and therefor sinning against His creation.

So yea, still some things to be worked through but we do feel as if we are in agreement which I think is EXTREMELY important because if we are not then, "A house against itself cannot stand" and we are vulnerable to attack. Something I have explained to her, and we have been attacked and survived but I don't want to leave any more vulnerability for anyone to exploit!

I've never been able to drop the poly stuff, likely never will though I don't know if anything will ever come of it but if that is what the most high has for me that is fine, but I think it is important to know the truth.
I can relate. Once you see it, you can't unsee it. Then you start seeing when it should be applied, like your comment about sleeping around obligating the man to marry. The truth matters, and sometimes we are the voice that speaks it.
I never knew what would ultimately come of accepting ...and even wanting that life. Now I know more then I did. There is another in our family....and more children. It's still going to take time to show the entire result.....but its nice to see there was a purpose.

"If we start right, it is easy to go right all the time; but if we start wrong we may go wrong, and it will be a hard matter to get right" - Joseph Smith .... I think this quote applies very well to polygamy. In America, at least, most of us have grown up our whole lives being taught how evil it is for a man to have multiple wives. How a man must be adulterous to do so, and how he cannot love his wife if he loves another woman. And in part because of these deep rooted teachings and traditions many have a hardened their hearts and even believe that Abraham and Isaac were sinners because they had multiple wives. It is hard to get right and put off our traditions and reconcile with the scriptures. It took me 13 years to accept polygamy in my heart. It came in steps. At first I accepted it logically. Abraham knew God in a way I never have and God wouldn't have given him so many promises and kept those promises if he were a sinner. Most girls I know who accept the idea of polygamy have accepted it logically but not in their hearts. They understand the logic but are unwilling to comply with it. My mom has said that she has accepted it in her mind, but not in her heart, and that's why sometimes she has a hard time with the idea. From when I was 12 to 21 I accepted it logically. I thought it wasn't a sin for a man God appointed to marry more than one woman, but he didn't in this day, and age and I was grateful I didn't have to live it because I was too insecure. From 21 to 25 I thought that a man who was good enough that God appointed him to live polygamy and who did it well was a beautiful idea. I would be happy to live polygamy despite my horrible experiences living with other girls as roommates, and as a missionary. If I loved the guy and I could trust him to love me and not be swayed away by his wives whims but actually lead a family, it could be wonderful. Last year at 25 I watched the first season of sister wives. Now in my mind Kody is anything but perfect and I did not believe that God had appointed him like Abraham to have multiple wives, but I could tell in the first season that he was a moral guy at the time, and yet he had multiple wives. So I guess that was when I really realized that a normal man marrying multiple wives was just as normal and moral as a man marrying one wife. It took me that long. Each time I thought I had accepted it but would fight back at different parts of the doctrine. I know there is still so much more for me to learn as the scriptures have so many things I don't understand and in my ignorance may condemn, but hold on, hope and pray. Sorry for the long comment, anyway I just think it's a long process because we have grown up with creeds and traditions that would condemn a man like Abraham. We also have grown up in a repulsively immoral society and good people revile at that and try to pull as far away from that sort of thing as possible and because of our traditional morality, having more than one wife often falls into that category.

Thanks for sharing your journey into understanding polygyny as a moral practice.

In America, at least, most of us have grown up our whole lives being taught how evil it is for a man to have multiple wives.
That was one of the big things different for me. I was raised by parents that believed it was a moral practice, so I didn't grow up with the prejudice that most have.
From 21 to 25 I thought that a man who was good enough that God appointed him to live polygamy and who did it well was a beautiful idea.
Isn't it interesting how our views change as we grow? I could readily see it as moral, but thinking about a future with another woman in it "happily ever aftering" with us was strange for a long time. (It was 22 years ago that I first thought about it in a personal way....five years after we married)
Eventually the shared life and the "other (hypothetical) woman" became my first choice for how to live....if of course I were to get to pick.
I guess that was when I really realized that a normal man marrying multiple wives was just as normal and moral as a man marrying one wife.
When things changed for us and my sisterwife moved in it never felt anything but normal. I could easily see what they saw in each other, and it was a very natural transition....at the same time that it felt like a dream. Sureal was the word we both used (her and I) and that has changed into just a more comfortable feeling of belonging.....as it felt like they (she and her son) belonged here from the beginning. Now she has a little daughter that is a joy.....and very loved!
I hope that us being as open as we are can help others see this as the normal and workable option that it is.
My sisterwife thinks more people should talk about the upsides for the single mom.

"If we start right, it is easy to go right all the time; but if we start wrong we may go wrong, and it will be a hard matter to get right" - Joseph Smith .... I think this quote applies very well to polygamy. In America, at least, most of us have grown up our whole lives being taught how evil it is for a man to have multiple wives. How a man must be adulterous to do so, and how he cannot love his wife if he loves another woman. And in part because of these deep rooted teachings and traditions many have a hardened their hearts and even believe that Abraham and Isaac were sinners because they had multiple wives. It is hard to get right and put off our traditions and reconcile with the scriptures. It took me 13 years to accept polygamy in my heart. It came in steps. At first I accepted it logically. Abraham knew God in a way I never have and God wouldn't have given him so many promises and kept those promises if he were a sinner. Most girls I know who accept the idea of polygamy have accepted it logically but not in their hearts. They understand the logic but are unwilling to comply with it. My mom has said that she has accepted it in her mind, but not in her heart, and that's why sometimes she has a hard time with the idea. From when I was 12 to 21 I accepted it logically. I thought it wasn't a sin for a man God appointed to marry more than one woman, but he didn't in this day, and age and I was grateful I didn't have to live it because I was too insecure. From 21 to 25 I thought that a man who was good enough that God appointed him to live polygamy and who did it well was a beautiful idea. I would be happy to live polygamy despite my horrible experiences living with other girls as roommates, and as a missionary. If I loved the guy and I could trust him to love me and not be swayed away by his wives whims but actually lead a family, it could be wonderful. Last year at 25 I watched the first season of sister wives. Now in my mind Kody is anything but perfect and I did not believe that God had appointed him like Abraham to have multiple wives, but I could tell in the first season that he was a moral guy at the time, and yet he had multiple wives. So I guess that was when I really realized that a normal man marrying multiple wives was just as normal and moral as a man marrying one wife. It took me that long. Each time I thought I had accepted it but would fight back at different parts of the doctrine. I know there is still so much more for me to learn as the scriptures have so many things I don't understand and in my ignorance may condemn, but hold on, hope and pray. Sorry for the long comment, anyway I just think it's a long process because we have grown up with creeds and traditions that would condemn a man like Abraham. We also have grown up in a repulsively immoral society and good people revile at that and try to pull as far away from that sort of thing as possible and because of our traditional morality, having more than one wife often falls into that category.
Great thoughts!

Abraham knew God in a way I never have and God wouldn't have given him so many promises and kept those promises if he were a sinner
Boom! Mic drop!
My mom has said that she has accepted it in her mind, but not in her heart, and that's why sometimes she has a hard time with the idea.
Did you grow up around people who accepted poly? Why were you engaging with the idea?

Back